cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Database for SAP MII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,  I am trying to find if there is any recommended database such as  MS SQL or DB2 to be used for SAP MII 12.2, what is SAP suggesting here.

Thanks,

Kew

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MII is installed on an NWBC base which requires a database as part of its installation.  There are several types which can be used as a base.  You will need to see the NW guides to see what the choices are.  MaxDB is available for free and comes with NWBC. 

Some projects require a separate database for holding data locally be available to MII, but there are plenty of additional options there even beyond what is applicable to NWBC installations. 

Regards, Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion not is a developer SAP MII which should decide this. This is a task of SAP Basis with the customer. What do you think, Michael?

Regards, Danilo Santos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike, Danilo Thanks .. I am trying to understand this as my basis team have choose the DB2 as inline database for NW where MII is installed. As my customer don't want to spend on a license again for MS SQL, but how different DB2 is to use a writing queries or anything that can be used as part of project. I guess database is something important as part of implementation and does SAP recommend any specific database, i am asking this coz I have gone through lot of documentation available on implementation of SAP MII and I only see MS SQL there. how difficult is to use DB2 as most of the developers are familiar with oracle or MS SQL, does this impact anything

Kew

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Danilo,

Absolutely.  MII folks sometimes will do an installation of a Sandbox or POC system, but it usually is done by Basis as you mentioned.  In the early years of Lighthammer and xMII, before it was migrated to the NW platform, it was not uncommon for xMII/MII consultants to have to do the installation.  I am just as happy to be out of that role as you never did it often enough to get good at it.  😉

Regards, Mike

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kew,

If you are talking about the database for NW, there won't be anything in MII which matters.  Most of the documentation for MII will be with regards to external databases.  From the MII standpoint, the NW database is not exposed (usually, though you can access it, it is not recommended).  If you want an external database for maintaining static data sources, you have many choices including MaxDB, but remember:  "You get what you pay for". 

Regards, Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

I tried to make my Basis team & customer understand about the importance of external database and use of MS SQL as most of the templates available in SDN refers to SQL Database, for instance Batch Manufacturing.But they say there is nothing which talks about this and they don't want to spend anything on licenses as they think it is fine to go with NW inline database and they went with DB2. I am looking for specific document which talks about the importance of external databases and it's use for MII as you mentioned "From the MII standpoint, the NW database is not exposed (usually, though you can access it, it is not recommended). Should SAP focus on creating any such document which will be kind of reference for customers and basis team.

Many Thanks,

Sudhir

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhir (Kew?),

MII uses external databases as source and repository of data.  I would suspect that many of the queries in the templates would take some modification as the syntax for SQL Server is different from that in DB2 (and from Oracle, Informix, Sybase, MaxDB, etc.).  SQL Server was chosen as a commonly used database technology in Manufacturing environments and most likely for price and historical reasons back in the Lighthammer days (prior to acquisition by SAP). 

I suspect your Basis folks already have licenses for DB2 and chose it for that reason.  Databases are seemingly all different particularly in how that use functions for datetime and string data.  However, Google can find the particular syntax for each vendor.  Yes, it will be tedious, but sometimes life is like that.  I have used all the major vendor's databases and many minor vendor's at one time or another.  I don't remember very much of each's syntax, so looking it up is pretty much second nature to me now.  Unfortunately SQL-92 is effectively ignored by all the vendors so you end up with this issue.  I believe 12.2 has a method of disguising those differences with a specific connector definition, but have not used it and will allow others to provide details.

Good luck, Mike

Regards, Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

As my english is poor I was documenting the message with help of my colleage and ended up with his name :-)..

Well, I need to convince the team about the necessity of external database for MII. I would appreciate your help for my questions so far. Any more suggestions from the community will be welcomed.

Kew

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kew,

The need for an external database depends on your requirements.  Some uses include retaining data from ERP or other remote sources in cases of communication disruptions.  Often this is needed for remote facilities which have frequent outages due to weather or other natural and man-made issues.  This can now be handled by MDO since 12.2, so it is less necessary than in the past.  MDO does suffer some limitations when combining multiple MDOs as dynamic table joins which an external, though local, database would not. 

In many cases, there is no need for external databases.  When MII is used for process data dashboards, the data remains in the source and MII is the display agent.  Some forms of integration with ERP do not require local data storage or minimal storage which could be in the form of xml documents stored within MII.  ERP is usually the system of record for most data.  For processing data, there is usually some form of data logger, a historian or DC which is the system of record for process data.  LIMS or other quality systems are usually built on a database, so the connection would either be direct data queries or some kind of table transfer mechanism.

I have almost convinced myself that there are no reasons to have an external database, but can't quite believe it is 100% unneeded. 

Regards, Mike