Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check network consumption by application

former_member218672
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any option in NWA to check the Network Bandwidth consumption/availability during when a application is running in sap portal ?

I need to find out how much internet bandwidth is getting consumed by my webdynpro application while it's running on Portal.

Any pointer's guys ?

Thanks,

Sen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sen,

You need to consider why you want to measure the bandwidth of one component of a users webpage ... (unless you are considering bundling your portal's theme into the 'cost' of your webdynpro). 

Are you interested in measuring bandwidth specifically for this webdynpro, or are you interested in how much it adds to your current bandwidth ?

How often will the initial screen of the webdynpro be transmitted ?

Are you interested in the bandwidth of the initial page, or the total bandwidth of the business process that the webdynpro executes ?

Where is the bandwidth bottleneck that you're worried about ?

• between the portal server and the user device ?
  • between the portal server and your ISP (or your datacentre wall) ?

Are you interested in the portal generated traffic or the user generated traffic (or both) ?

What occurs in the network between your portal and wherever the bandwidth measurement / bottleneck occurs ?

• What network devices (like packet shapers and compressor) modify the bandwidth ?
  • What about software (is the network traffic gzipped or not ?)

Why do you need to know ?  It's not a stupid / silly question, because the answer to that will tell you where to look for measurement data.

hth

PS because of caching at various places in the network (not just the browser / device level), any simple mathematical calculation of bandwidth will give an answer that, while providing a reassuring degree of precision, will be totally incorrect.

former_member218672
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Martin..

Actually, I've a webdynpro application which calls n number of rfc's and having flex components into it. When user logs into portal, in the user's home page, the application gets loaded.

Now, the application sometimes (which is very rare) taking longer time to get loaded. We've done all check's in our java and abap codes..There's nothing more can be done in those areas.

So, thinking of checking the network trafic/network bandwidth when user is trying to login into portal and if the available bandwidth is low, redirect user to some other landing page which doesn't contain webdynpro application.

I understand that bandwidth calculation might not be perfect idea as getting actual bandwidth details is difficult considering caching but, can I try something like, when user tries to login thru login page, network bandwidth would be checked using some code(not considering cache things) and based on bandwidth availability decision would be taken on landing page.

Any help ?

Regards,

Sen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sen,

Unfortunately, there is no such a functionality in NWA. However, if you logon to NWA and go to Java System Reports, you may monitor many other system properties such as

Average Request Processing Time

Memory Consumption

Users Logged-In

Active Sessions

If you select report monitor browser, performance, external communication you may monitor other system properties as well (e.g. external RFC calls).

There might be many issues causing slow responses (network, slow request processing by the server, dispatching and load balancing issues etc.)

HTTP watch is a good tool to check the request - response flow and timing 

Kind regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried HTTP watch . There is a trial version available.

Regards

Amit Padmawar

former_member218672
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply Amit.

I've already tried with http watch. Actually my requirement is to get bandwidth details using code.

Is this possible ?

Any help ?

regards,

sen