cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Characters on Adobe Forms with Smartforms Style?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have an Adobe form that contains a text field that is populated using a SmartForms Text Module. In the Form Context I have Copy Style From Text Module checked. I am using the default SYSTEM Smartform Style which uses the Courier font. The Smartforms Text Module I am using contains several lines in Bold print.

This process works correctly for Latin 1 languages but not for Simplified Chinese (ZH). When I do a print preview or a print of the form in Simplified Chinese. Bold and Normal Chinese characters are mixed on the same line (see attached image). The font appears to be Helvetica or Arial, not Courier. The Smartforms Style does not appear to be applied correctly to the text.

Any suggestion how I can get the Smartforms Style to work correctly with Simplified Chinese on an Adobe Form?

0 Kudos

Hello All,

I went through a lot of links to find the answer to this question :

"I am having problem with Chinese font (SimSun/Adobe_Heiti*) that it can not be bold partially.

For e.g - I am Bold and I am not."

The only solution we found was to use font Adobe Heiti Std R, which makes the entire text bold.

If anyone has a found a way to display chinese texts partially bold, please help.

Best Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Have you solved the problem?

I am having problem with Chinese font (SimSun) that it can not be bold partially.

For e.g - I am Bold and I am not.

Either whole textfield is bold or whole textfield is normal.

Can you help me in this problem?

- Chandler Bing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandler, My Chinese font problem was slightly diifferent. I was using rich text with a normal character attribute but the result in the PDF was mixed bold and normal characters. For rich text such as supplied from an SAP text module, I use Minion Pro. I find that Asian languages do not normally support font attributes such as bold and italics. Unpredictable results occur when specifying these in rich text  for Asian languages. For non rich text I use Arial for best results. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Hello All,

I went through a lot of links to find the answer to this question :

"I am having problem with Chinese font (SimSun/Adobe_Heiti*) that it can not be bold partially.

For e.g - I am Bold and I am not."

The only solution we found was to use font Adobe Heiti Std R, which makes the entire text bold.

If anyone has a found a way to display chinese texts partially bold, please help.

Best Regards

0 Kudos

Hello,

The problem is the different code-page for chinese-forms.

You have two solutions.

First you change the xfa.xci data on java-server(ADS). This change the mapping for all forms and the specified codepage.

In second case, you define a font-mapping for each form and language.

This solution:

In ABAP go to SM31

Change the table FPFONTREPL

Here you define a mapping for font-styles for each form and each language.

In our case we define:

Formname = MEDRUCK_PO

Language = ZH(Chinese)

Source Font = Arial_*_*

Target Font= SimSun_*_*

Now our forms get out of printer in correct way whitout different bold characters.

This solution is based on sap note 1489570

If you have any questions, ask me.

The solution is now active and we don't have problems yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Former Member,

I am having problem with Chinese font (SimSun) that it can not be bold partially.

- Chandler Bing

navip
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please mention the style name in the Context tab as shown below......

---

Naveen

pavan_prabhu
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The problem is only because of the Font Type you are using for printing Chinese characters.

Always remember that you should specifically use the Chinese fonts for Chinese text. The simplest Chinese font examples are SimSun or PmingLiU.There are many other such fonts. These fonts are specifically designed for Chinese typesetting. Font sizes, indentation, name translation, line spacing, everything is set.

Why Courier does not work for Chinese?

Its simple. Because it is designed that way. That font was designed for Latin and some other languages. So if you are trying to print Chinese font with Courier, what SAP does is instead of showing JUNK, it replaces to nearest font type in which Chinese text can be shown. And in your case its Helvetica or Arial.

Workaround for this problem

Instead of using Smart Styles, you can Implement dynamic fonts in your forms. Check the language in which you are printing the form and depending on the language pick the suitable font from a source like Database table and using Java script, change the Font property of the text fields at run time before rendering the PDF.

suppose you have a text field field1 and you want to change its font property dynamically, then write the script on this field as below.

this.font.typeface = var.rawvalue;

Here var will contain the name of font you fetched earlier depending on the language.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

- Chandler Bing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also facing same problem. Kindly help to resolve this.

Thanks and regards,

Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

I had also faced same problem. But, my problem is solved now. This is becasuse previously we had Foxit reader installed in our system to read PDF file and foxit reader created problem. Then we checked same layout in adobe reader and output looks OK in that adobe reader. Please check, if this is your case.

Reward points, if this is helpful.

Thanks & regards,

Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

I am also facing same problem with chinese characters.But I am already using adobe reader and output has mixed characters bold and normal chinese characters. Could you please tell the font which has solved the problem.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aniket,

I had used Arial font which looks OK with mixed characters.

Thanks,