cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Discipline Vs User Exit / Z development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is probably an old debate but wanted to seek your opinion (sorry for the inconvenience).

I have always believed that we (as consultants) should not readily go for User Exits / Z development for problems that are as a result of

user discipline.

For example, if the user chooses wrong TAX code(TAXINJ), SAP will calculate wrong prices, taxes (no fault of SAP). Should we go for User 

Exits / Z development or educate the user on exercising caution and choosing the right tax code.

Let us not restrict our discussion only for Taxcodes, this is applicable for all User Discipline Vs User Exit / Z development issues.

My request:

How do I convince the client/user on not making avoidable User Exits.

1. Probably can tell him that there will performance penalties as a result of avoidable User Exits.

2. Problem during upgradation (need help from SCN members on details as to how exactly will this be affected).

3. Others reasons?

tia.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ravi for providing the merits and demerits of Z developments.

Thank you all for your inputs.

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP SD_Newbie Newbie wrote:

Thank you Ravi for providing the merits and demerits of Z developments.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Those comments are neither merits nor demerits...but just my personal opinion. Actually I expected participation from many members posting their valuable opinions and experiences and unfortunately not much discussion happened on this topic.

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi,

unfortunately not much discussion happened on this topic.

You have pretty much nailed it down, and I am sure most will agree. Well articulated explanation.

Regards,

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

'To err is human', 'Prevention is better than cure'...we should always keep this in mind while assessing the requirement and designing the solution.

User discipline is always required but it will not be the only way to avoid issues. When the end users are very high in number, widely spread, frequent change of users (employee turn over or change in roles), when the business process is unique and complex, when the system is highly customized..though the user is highly disciplined, there is every chance of committing mistakes while entering data.

We should consider the outcome of the mistake to keep a check (through validations in userexits etc.,) on the data entered. Just as an example, if a wrong entry for a field leads to giving more discounts, or charging wrong taxes...I prefer to keep validation to make sure that the data is entered correctly.

When investing so much money in implementing and running SAP, the client cannot change his business process to suit the standard SAP. Some clients will have unique and complex business processes and requires lot of customizations and my project is one of the best examples and it is running extremenly well since many years. The quality in customizations also makes the difference. There are many consultants who handles complex requirements through simple logics and coding.

My opinion on enhancements for the comments from our member:

2. For every small requirements Z-Development should not be done, which will hamper the system performance.

Whether it is simple requirement or small requirement...it is a business requirement. You should avoid customisation only when you can satisfy the requirement through standard SAP or if you can suggest a simpler and easier workaround.

3. While upgrading, the User Exits will not be moved & you will have to do all the customizations

again.

It is the responsibility of the Upgrade team to take care of all these issues.

4. If you want everything to be Z-Developed, then what is the use of SAP?

Who will ask for a z development when the consultant can provide the solution  with standard SAP. I have seen consultants who have gone for z developments (not with client pressure) though it is possible through standard...which they are not aware of it. It may happen with any of us also.

Thanks,

Ravi Sankar

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand that "Tax code" in your original post is an example.

But could you please explain where is Tax code given by the user in the sales order?

Tax classification (from MMR) is populated in the sales order. With tax classifications (from CMR and sales order at item level) the condition value is calculation.

1. Some information is given by the user. e.g. In sales order: CMR, MMR, Unit etc.

2. Some information is populated by the system e.g. In sales order: prices, delivery date

The users should take responsibility to maintain correct 1

Proper recruitment, training and employee appraisal are some of the "tools" to achieve the above.

If we go for customization, it is always going to lead to EXTRA cost, among other things.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi T W,

I understand that "Tax code" in your original post is an example.

But could you please explain where is Tax code given by the user in the sales order?

Just to answer your question; proper Tax Code for the transaction is maintained via TCode: VK11 for condition type UTXJ (TAXINJ) and this is picked up by the Sales Order based on the Access sequence specified for UTXJ.

thx.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For example, if the user chooses wrong TAX code(TAXINJ),

You said user chooses TAX code but now you are saying it is coming from condition record (thus user is not choosing TAX code)

That is why my original question. Please tell where in the sales order does the user given Tax code.

I hope my question is clear and the intention thereof.

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

This is a classic delimma every functional consultant faces. The client always wants a permanent solution & we as consultants generally press for User Decipline.

But there are times where we have no option but to go for User Exits / Z-Developments.

I will give you a couple of examples, My client wanted to ensure that BIlling date should not be prior to Delivery date. In another case they had multiple Credit Control Areas under single company codes & wanted to share the Credit limit of a Customer in one Credit Control Area with another Credit Control Area.

Now in above cases we have no option but to go for Enhancements / User Exits / Z-Developments. Thus first, we as consultants should analyze whether the requirement of the client is really genuine, that its non-compliance will lead to legal or reporting or other issues. If yes then Z-Development is mandatory.

In other cases say selecting correct data in Sales Order should be left to User discipline.

As fas a convincing the client is concerned:

1. You should inform that these Z-Developments are not supported by SAP & incase anything goes wrong they will not help.

2. For every small requirements Z-Development should not be done, which will hamper the system performance.

3. While upgrading, the User Exits will not be moved & you will have to do all the customizations

again.

4. If you want everything to be Z-Developed, then what is the use of SAP?

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta