cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Online Backup without Offline redo log backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I intend to take a backup of my SAP system running on Oracle. I have a large database and as such I intend to take only a full offline backup and thereafter delay the large archived redo logs in the ORAARCH directory without backing it. Please advice that is is OK to recover should i need to.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answers. However, you have not answered my questions.

Simply put, my question is this...if I take full offline backup of the database (without the redo logs option )  in DB13, can i restore conveniently to a consistent state? My archive log file is too big and I don't want to backup it. I just want to be sure if I have to do a restore immediately, is my full offline backup sufficient for a consistent state.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

>> if I take full offline backup of the database (without the redo logs option )  in DB13, can i restore conveniently to a consistent state?

Yes, technically, it will be consistent. It means that you can open the database and SAP respectfully, after the offline backup. But, as Sunny noted that last transactions, after the offline backup, stored in the offline redolog files. So, it is required to backup and restore in order to come to the last state.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you...I will worry about the transactions in the next backup operation.

Thank you

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I suggest you install a Oracle data guard (for example physical standby) and take its backup. By doing so, you will not stop the productive system.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Apart from full online backup, you should also take offline redo log backup because in case you need to perform point in time recovery then you will need offline redo log files.

Thanks

Sunny