Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First acquisition date and Capitalized date in Asset Master

lavanya_latha
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have an asset with the capitalization date 01.06.2011 and the First acquisition date as 29.02.2012. Now the depreciation is being calculated from 29.02.2012 and not from the capitalization date 01.06.2011. Is this correct?

Can somebody please explain me the purpose of these two fields and also the difference between them.

Thanks in advance.

Lavanya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

First acquisition date ( FAD) is the actual date on which asset was received/acquired and capitalization date (CPD) is the date from which the asset is actually valued.

Normally these two dates would be same and in certain cases, similar to your scenario, it could be different as capitalization can be manually updated.

In your case since both FAD and depreciation start date are same I am assuming that the CPD was manually updated after capitalizing the asset on 29-2-2012. It's correct, that depreciation starts based on   CPD  but if CPD is manually updated after capitalizing the asset then the depreciation date should also be updated.

raymond_moynihan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

The first acquisition determines the ord.depreciation start date.

When you post the first acquisition normally what the system does is

fill in the cap.date and ord.depr.start date automatically, based on the

period control in the depreciation key.

regards

Ray

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lavnya,

Above all experts replies I would like to add something from my end  about these two dates -

Capitalization Date : System uses this date to default asset value date for rest of asset life cycle. Now here two things to be consider :

a ) Capitalization date is possible to enter on manual basis - as user can enter this date while creating asset master data.

b ) If you do not enter Capitalization Date system automatically adopts from first acquisition posting as a "Capitalization Date".

Acquisition Date : Acquisition date is similarly used as a capitalization date and populated based on it's "First Acquisition" posting and Transaction Types used e.g.100.

In most of the cases where capitalization date is not entered manually system populates these two fields ( Capitalized on and First acquisition on ) from first acquisition transaction posting date.

Now coming to your point I guess user has manually entered Capitalization Date while creating master data and acquisition transaction posted later on dates which is different to Capitalization Date, and hence difference in these two dates.

And Depreciation Start Date which determined based on "Period Control Method" so have a look at your period control method how it is configured.

I hope this will help you to understand functionality regarding date and provides you an insight for your issue. If you need anymore help please get back to forum for further guidance.

Thank you.

Regards,

Pankaj Bhalerao.

lavanya_latha
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your helpful answers.

My issue is for one particular asset the Capitalization date is 01.06.2011 and the posting date of the initial acquistion is 29.02.2012(also the Fist Acq date in the master data).

Now the original depreciation start date shown in asset master is 01.06.2011 but the system is calculating the depreciation from the posting date 29.02.2012(also the asset value date)

Now the user says she wants to calculate the depreciation from 01.06.2011 and not from 29.02.2012.

Is it that the system is taking the posting date since the capitalization falls into the different fiscal year.

In these kind of scenarios is it advisable to manually enter the Asset Value Date in transaction ABUMN

Could somebody please help me.

Thanks & regards,

Lavanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lavanya,

I have similar problem. If you have already resolved the issue. Please help in providing the solution.

Since it is unanswered, anybody please help.

Regards,

Diwakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

I would like to suggest you please check in your depreciation key whether the option "depreciation to  the day" has been selected. In that case you cannot change that, your system will calculate depreciation from the acquisition date only.

Please refer to the sap help.

Regards,

Divate rama mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all, I have same problem and need to depreciate an asset in year (2013) before acquisition year (2015). Can you please help? Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

Here is the answer on your question:

In these kind of scenarios is it advisable to manually enter the Asset Value Date in transaction ABUMN - Yes you are correct.

Regards

MRathi

former_member375980
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

yes, this is correct. In the year of first acqusition, the system will calculate depreciaiton from the dep. start date in case of acqusition transaction type (like 100), in case of transfer transaction type (like 300) the system takes into account the asset value date and the period control for transfer.

Best Regards,

Blaz

former_member375980
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

yes, this is correct. In the year of first acqusition, the system will calculate depreciaiton from the dep. start date in case of acqusition transaction type (like 100), in case of transfer transaction type (like 300) the system takes into account the asset value date and the period control for transfer.

Best Regards,

Blaz