cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP XI/PI Basic Utilisation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day people,

i would like to ask a question regarding the actual practical scenarios in which a SAP PI can be used.

What i mean to say is: i am learning how to configure a system, know the adapters, SLD concept and configurations, mapping, Integration builder and other components that are related to PI, i have read the actual BIT100 and 400 and even attended BIT100 course but something i didn't still manage to understand is the actual practicality of the system and why is necessary a PI system in a big company.

Is the PI nothing more then a "convertor" and "translator" of different messages from A to B? What else can you actually do with having a system like that in your landscape.

Please if someone can explain to me this i would highly appreciate it as i feel a little confused and a basic explanation is must times better then a "official" pdf from SAP.(at least for me )

Thank you in advance and excuse me if the questions seem stupid.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>Is the PI nothing more then a "convertor" and "translator" of different messages from A to B? What else can you actually do with having a system like that in your landscape.

1. translator is enough - as SAP ECC/ERP cannot connect with busines partners without using this connector

so this one is pretty much enough to buy it - if you cannot do electronic business that means that you cannot sell or order so you're out of business - in short

2. monitoring - if you have multiple systems in your company - and in most cases you do - systems need to talk to each other and you want to have one place where to look for errors in case of any

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much guys for explanations. I am on the verge of deciding if i should follow this path as my main speciality is Basis. I will go through the topics on this forum and try to understand from the errors the functionality.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vlad,

The PI decission depends which largue is the company and the number of interfaces.  I think these images could show you why is necessary:

If you have all the communications centraliced, the interface support is easier  and more clear and as Michal says every system can "talk" with the protocol that it wants.

Regards.