Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call system in abap

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, I have a query. I have to use a syntax in my code

CALL 'SYSTEM' ID 'COMMAND' FIELD NT_COMMAND

ID 'TAB'     FIELD line

what is the purpose of the 'field'. What should be it's data type. What is the purpose of 'Id' also?

Can any one please clarify this statement in detail?

4 REPLIES 4

Kartik2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It deals with calling system functions, These are not supposed to be used by application programs. Please read F1 documentation for Call statement ( Call a system function ).

Here the system command ( SYSTEM in your case ) is also called as a Macro. It is a standard code which is present in the file sapactab.h.

Please go through the documentation for further understanding of Fields. Thank you.

Regards,

Kartik

0 Kudos

Hi Kartik,

Kartik P wrote:

Here the system command ( SYSTEM in your case ) is also called as a Macro. It is a standard code which is present in the file sapactab.h.

I don't think it's called a macro (the only place where I heard of macros is the ones defined by DEFINE ... END-OF-DEFINITION statements, in SAP APO and in Microsoft Office suite).

sapactab.h is only for SAP internal use; you copied this information from the F1 doc and is irrelevant for anybody else but SAP kernel guys.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

As per the basic understanding of Macro.

A macro is a set of instructions that is represented in an abbreviated format. Here the term 'SYSTEM' is just the abbreviation for the underlying set of instructions. In this scenrio i think it can very well be called as a macro.

Well, coming to the file name, I agree that i have refered F1 documentation to get the information. I think it is just a basic question that anybody would get to find out what are the other possible system functions, he / she may not be able to use them but for their awareness they may be wanting to know where the code is. Like in case of function modules once you double click it, it takes you to the code written for it, but for these system functions even though user double clicks nothing happens. Then we get a doubt like where exactly is the code present. To clarify such a doubt i have mentioned that information.

Please do correct the tone of your replies. From my point of view i thought that would be the next doubt for the user so i have refered it.

Regards,
Kartik

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Better use a FM like SXPG_COMMAND_EXECUTE than a CALL SYSTEM reserved to SAP.

Regards,

Raymond