Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection based on manufacturer

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We have a scenario in our company that I need your help.

We are doing incoming inspection upon receipt of our raw materials and the inspection type (full, reduce or same vendor lot) is determined through custom program based on vendor, vendor batch and Q-info record profile. This system is working fine for each plant (we have three manufacturing plants).

But most of our raw materials are procured from same manufacturer but through different vendors due to the location of our manufacturing plants as their vendors are nearer to them.  So the system is creating full / reduced inspection for the same material in one plant  and  reduced inspection in another plant due to the different vendor  even though it is procured from same manufacturer.

Our business would like to inspect the material (full / reduced  or same vendor lot) based on  manufacturer not based on vendor  at each plant level as it will reduce the inspection time, labor and money and will be consistent across the plants.

Since q-info record is plant based, how we could achieve this functionality through standard process .

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sujit

I do not see "manufacturer' in the inspection plan header.

I created the MPN profile and assigned it to the Purchasing view of the material number and created the manufacturer with MNFR account group and assigned the number in the material master.

When I create the Q info record for the vendor , manufacturer number populates in the Q info record. But I do not see the manufacturer in the inspection plan to assign the material -vendor -manufacturer combination to have one unique plan based on manufacturer and not on vendor.

I do not understand how the Q info record for the vendor will control the inspection type during GR  if I need the inspection type based on manufacturer.

Could you please clear and guide me to achieve this scenario.

Thanks

SS

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the inspection plan, the manufacturer number goes in the same field as the vendor number.  You do not assign plans on a material/vendor/manufacturer basis but on a material/manufacturer basis or a material/vendor basis.  In any case, the same vendor field is used for both.

Normally, you should not assign any plans to the purchase-from number any more since you are inspecting by manufacturer.  Or you assign the plan simply to the material if you don't need to have specific plans for each manufacturer.

For Q-info records you should be creating the Q-info records using the manufacturer number.

FF

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi FF,

Thanks for your reply.

I did not create any manufacturer material number as I have assigned the manufacturer number in the material master. So when I create the q info record  with manufacturer as vendor, I am getting the hard error as "Q info record not allowed for Material XXXX(manufaacturer part profie).

is it necessary to have manufacturer part number? the assignment of manufacturer in the material master will not have any effect when I create the Q info record.

Appreciate your suggestions.

SS

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi FF,

Thanks for your reply.

I did not create any manufacturer material number as I have assigned the manufacturer number in the material master. So when I create the q info record  with manufacturer as vendor, I am getting the hard error as "Q info record not allowed for Material XXXX(manufaacturer part profie).

is it necessary to have manufacturer part number? the assignment of manufacturer in the material master will not have any effect when I create the Q info record.

Appreciate your suggestions.

SS

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want to use QM with manufacturer numbers then you must set the "QM processing for MPN" in the MPN profile.

If you do this, then SAP says:

Quality Inspection with MPN Materials

Use

If you set this indicator, quality info records can only be created for MPN materials, NOT for the firm's own materials.

Furthermore, the manufacturer will then be applied as a further criterion for dynamization purposes and in the selection of the inspection plan.

So, yes.. for MPN in QM you must create MPN materials with material type HERS.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lets not mix Qinfo record ,MPN & dynamic modification criteria.

Inspection plan do not have provision of maintaining  "manufacturer" .

I asked to explore the tick in inspection plan ,which can also be considered criteria to skip.if inspection lot has manufacturer number then system automatically pickes the same.

Offcouse ,MPN is also used.

Quality info record for manufacturer ,I have not explored yet !

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry Sujit, it is possible to assign plans by manufacturer.

For selecting inspection plans by manufacturer you put the manufacturer number in the vendor field of the assignment screen.

See SAP help here:  http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/cb/8e1646e31c11d1954200a0c930e04c/content.htm

It clearly states in here you can have manufacturer specific plans.

I have also tested same on a 6.0 system and we use MPN process.  I can place the manufacturer number in the vendor field and it will select this plan over the general plan assigned to the material.

MPN process REQUIRES that your Q-info records are done on the MPN material. If you assign an MPN profile to a material that QM processing enable, you will get an error message when trying to create a Q info record for the material telling you the material is an internal material number and you must create the Q-info record for the MPN material number.

With regard to DMR, the manufacturer is an available criteria for the DMR. It is obviously only valid when an inspection lot contains a manufacturer number.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes FF ,you are right .I was just thrown my inputs regarding the DMR criteria when offcourse Manufacturer is maintained in the inspection lot.

I have never explored MPN ,which I will now do...

Thanks for input !

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I got stuck up in PO.

I have created the MPN material and assigned the internal material to it. I have created the Q info record based on Manufacturer (vendor field)/MPN material and plant combination.

I have created the inspection plan  for the MPN material with vendor as manufacturer. I have created the  purchase info record for the internal material with regular vendor (not manufacturer) and source list for the regular vendor and assigned the MPN material in the source list.

When I create PO with MPN material and normal vendor , I am getting error as  " there is no source list for the requirement". Do I need to create source list with manufacturer as vendor? manufacturer ( accou8nt group MNFR) has only purchasing view  and no other views? How the manufacturer is linked to the regular vendor. How can I create the PO ? What am I missing and what is the sequence of Flow?

Appreciate your reply.

SS

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I beleive you have to specify the manufacturer number in the source list and use the internal material number with it.

FF

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

you cannot create source list for MPN  material as it is not extended to plants. will it work if I assign the partner function HS to the vendor master . still confused with How the vendor is linked to the manufacturer.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, did you maintain a record in the AMPL table using transaction MP01?

Also, I'm sorry about the source list.  The record in the source list is maintained by the internal material number. In the source list record itself, you specify the MPN material and vendor.

FF

The

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

I did maintain the record in MP01 and assigned the manufacturer in the table. But as per SAP it is not required if you have one  manufacturer for your internal materials.

I have created the Q info record with MPN material and normal  vendor and created a PO and GR. But it captured the manufacturer data in the lot but it is not changing the status of the Q info record profile when I do the receipt/ UD for the same material in another plant. I need the status  of the profile has to be changed irrespective of the plant based on manufacturer ignoring the vendors.

How the manufacturer is linked to the vendor when you do PO ? If you create the Q info record with MPN material and manufacturer as vendor, I am getting error as source list is required even though I have maintained the source list for internal material with normal vendor as Vendor.

Please guide.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried after removing the "Source List" tick in the Purchasing view for the material you purchase ?

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the source list record itself, you specify the MPN material and vendor.

source list:  Internal material number --> contains vendor number and MPN material number.

MPN material master contains manufacturer number.

Not sure what else you mean about connecting the vendor and manufacturer?

I assume by status of the Q-info record you mean the quality level?  I.e. the DMR by manufacturer?  Quality levels are done by plant.  Not client.

FF

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Sujit: the source list is on the internal material number but when you create PO fir MPN number , it will populate your internal number in the PO , but still you get the source list error.

FF : we are not using DMR for our inspection instead we are using Q info record status profile . based on the profile status, it will apply the inspection type for normal / reduced / same vendor lot through a custom program based on the tail gate sample.

I did all the master data

P info - internal number / normal vendor

Q info - MPN material / normal vendor

Inspn plan - assigned the manufacturer in the vendor column in the material assignment

material master  (internal material) - assigned manufaturer no, manufacturer profile

created MPN material

Created the PO for internal number with normal vendor, but on receipt it is still selecting the inspection type  based on vendor  not on the manufacturer.

, still I could not achieve the inspection by manufacturer?

Any ideas...

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Double check all  your inspection plan assignments.  Do a table look up of table MAPL and make sure you don't have plan assigned to the vendor somewhere and make sure you have the manufacturer number assignment showing up in the table.

you are saying the manufacturer number is showing up in the inspection, but that it is picking the wrong inspection plan.  Look at the selection criteria showin in the insp. lot in QA02 and double check all the values.

When you create the PO for the internal number, it should allow you to enter the internal number, but should rquire you to change it to an MPN number before saving the PO. It is doig this right?

FF

ssubni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi FF / Sujith,

I have double checked the MAPL table. there was no other assignments for vendor except the manufacturer. I have changed  the control key in the QM view of the material master to 0001 (delivery release) and now I am able to create the PO for MPN material from both the vendors and the inspection lot is created. Inspection lot has both MPN material, internal number and vendor and manufacturing data. but I do not see the Q info record in the inspection lot display.Is it due to the info record is not based on vendor? ( Q info is created based on MPN material and manufacturer as vendor). How the info record is not linked to the inspection lot?

Still the status in the Q info record did not move to the next status on my UD (accepted). It is still in the initial status. we are not using DMR to control our Normal / reduced inspection. Based on the Q info profile status, it will move to the next inspection stage after (3,5 or 10 inspections , if it is accepted on UD based on each vendor ).

Is it achievable through DMR? What am I missing?

appreciate your  ideas

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You said you use custom programs to determine inspection.  Could it be your custom programs need to be adjusted to work with Q-info records using the manufacturer number?

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additionally there is provision of "Dynamic modification Criteria " based on manufacturer also.

Explore the Tick "manufacturer"  in inspection plan header.You can skip the inspection lot based on

Material-plant-vendor-manufacturer.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manufacturer part number, (MPN) functionality is designed by SAP to address this.

There are some posts out there on MPN functionality, (I've written some in the past). Just google SAP and MPN.

SAP also has help files on this.

Please research it a bit and let me know if you have any questions.

FF