cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does SAP GUI language come from when logon is with SNC ?

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When logging onto SAP using SAP GUI the logon screen has a place where a language code can be entered, e.g. EN for English, DE for German.

However, if logging on using SAP GUI this screen does not appear. Instead, where does SAP GUI get the language from ? I cannot see any field in saplogon.ini where this might be configured, so does the logon language get determined based on the language of Windows where SAP GUI is installed, or does it come from somewhere else ?

Thanks,

Tim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

unfortenately the "SAP GUI for Windows" does not allow you to specify the logon language (not to be mixed up with the "language" attribute there; that one is only used to determine the codepage settings) nor the client. To my knowledge, the "SAP GUI for Java" however does offer both.

Well, if the user is always using the same language to logon then simply set that language in transaction SU3.

If you want the user to be able to choose the language each time he logs onto the system using SNC, then you can use a little trick: enter "Z1" as "logon language" in SU3.

If you want all users to see the SAPGUI logon screen (in order to be able to choose the logon language) you can set profile parameter snc/force_login_screen = 1 (please have a look on <a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/667470">SAP Note 667470</a> - there used to be a bug which was corrected).

Cheers, Wolfgang

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wolfgang,

Thankyou. The SU3 option was something I hadn't come across before - very useful. I was aware of snc/force_login_screen but didn't realise it was broken. I have been setting it to 1 and thought that it forced the login screen only when more than one match for the SNC name of user was found in USRACL - clearly it is in fact for a different purpose, but clearly broken without the fix discussed in note 667470.

I tested the change mentioned in sap note 667470 and it appears to work as expected.

Thankyou again. I have no more questions and will award points to those who helped.

Regards,

Tim

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

I am not sure what the difference is between loging on using SAP Gui and loging on using SAP GUI (I presume that this is a typo? , but the system sets a default language. This can be seen in RZ11 => zcsa/system_language.

Cheers,

Julius

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry - there was a mistake in my original question. The question was supposed to be as shown below :

-

However, if logging on using SAP GUI with SNC authentication - this screen does not appear. Instead, where does SAP GUI get the language from ? I cannot see any field in saplogon.ini where this might be configured, so does the logon language get determined based on the language of Windows where SAP GUI is installed, or does it come from somewhere else ?

-

It is clear that the SAP system has a default language, but when a userid and password logon screen is shown this default can be overriden to something other than the system default. When using SNC for authentication to SAP the logon screen is not shown, so is it possible to configure the language used somewhere else instead ? If it is then some users logging onto the SAP system will get German menus and others logging onto same system will get English - depending on workstation language or workstation configuration, or a user specific configuration.

Sorry for the typo and confusing post first time - hopefully my question is clearer now.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Actually it is clear enough for someone who reads the thread subject title to the end

I realized my mistake too late.

Cheers,

Julius

yonko_yonchev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

if you left click on the left topmost border of the SAP GUI (to the left of SAP Logon ...) you'll open a context menu. From there you have to go to Options and once you select that you'll open a configuration menu for SAP Logon Configuration. The language is configured there. The default value is probably taken from the Regional options of the Windows copy.

Regards,

Yonko

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yonko,

Already tried this - it just changes the language of SAP logon options, not the language of the SAP system menus when the logon has completed using SNC authentication.

Hopefully my question is clearer now ?

Thanks,

Tim

yonko_yonchev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

true about reading the title to the end:-)

Well, for a single user I think this is done from System > User Profile > Own data > Defaults tab once you are logged on with SNC. For several users, it's probably be possible to configure the default for this field from the user profile maintenance transactions. If you have authorizations to use these transactions of course.

Regards,

Yonko