Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a categorization to Implement SNC for Users? should only be the key users, or users from specific department, be getting SNC logon? The user base of my client is more than 200,000. How feasible, cost-wise it is to implement SNC logon for all the users in a landscape?

8 REPLIES 8

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if it is possible to implement SSO for certain users and not for others ? Yes, this is possible. It is often common for users in certain departments to not want/need SSO.

To get information on costs, I suggest you contact the vendors of the SNC SSO products. You can find a complete list if you visit SAP EcoHub and search for SNC SSO. You will also see reviews of the products from existing customers.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos

Dear Bala,

are you talking about SNC or SSO? So if we talk at SAP about SNC this is only the network communication encryption part between the client and the server.

So for all web based applications SAP provides network communication encrytion via https (SSL). Please check the version of your SAP application server and check the SAP documentation for the keyword: "Transport Layer Security on the AS ABAP".

If you are interested to use encryption only for SAP GUI for Windows, then please check the SNC Client Encryption component of SAP NetWeaver. You can find this component on SAP Marketplace.

--> this component is part of SAP NW so you should roll out it for all your users so secure company data and user passwords

If you are interested to use SSO and SNC -> check this forum: http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-sso

Regards

Matthias

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matthias Kaempfer wrote:

If you are interested to use SSO and SNC -> check this forum: http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-sso

The forum which you mention above is ONLY for SAP NetWeaver SSO product. This is not the only SNC SSO product available, as there are many vendors (SAP Partners) who provide SNC SSO products which can also be considered. This is why I suggested earlier to check on EcoHub.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Tim. It Helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you  Matthias, I read some where though, that if the OS is not windows then we should go for 3rd party products on implementing SNC. How true is that?

0 Kudos

He Bala,

SNC Client Encryption supports only Windows on the client side. Furthermore the user need an domain account (Microsoft Active Directory). SNC Client Encryption supports many operation systems on the back end side (check 1643878).

If you use also other operation system on the client side and/or if you like other authentication options (LDAP, smart cards, ... ), when I recommend to read more about SAP NetWeaver Single Sign-On.

If you want to implement SSO and SNC, then you have to check SAP NetWeaver Single Sign-On or 3rd party products if the back end is not running on Windows.

Regards

Matthias

0 Kudos

Thank you much Matthias!