cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active named users in production are less than purchased licenses

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

I am faced with the challenge of sorting and aligning the named users in production server against the number of licenses per contract.

Given:

300 named users per contract

200 actual named users in production

100 undeployed

Scenario:

All the actual users logged in production (200), and 50 of them shared their usernames and password to one person each for a total of 250 users logged in; 50 of which are multiple log ins.

Will it still be considered excessive usage?  There are still 100 undeployed licenses based on the signed contract with SAP.

It will be greatly appreciated if someone can shed a light on this concern.  This has been bugging me for several months now.

Thanks in advance,

Karin G.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Karin,

It doesn't seem that the problem is exceeding your license count, but rather the multiple simultaneous logons for 50 of the user IDs.  Sharing user accounts is generally against the terms of your license contract, though every contract is of course unique, and it's not a best practice in any case. 

License measurement usually isn't about 'active' users, just valid named users.  So, if your license allows for 300 named users, and you have 250 users valid in production, then you don't have a problem.  If, however, what you meant is that you have 250 active users, but you have another large set of users with valid accounts who don't actually login, for a total in excess of 300, then you do have a problem.  In that case, you'll need to identify the inactive users, determine whether they really need accounts, and invalidate/disable them.  Or buy more licenses.

With regard to the sharing of accounts, I recommend working with your management to publish a clear policy against this, identify the people who need accounts and don't have one and take care of them so that they can do their jobs, and set the instance profile parameter login/disable_multi_gui_login = 1.  It won't prevent sharing, but it will at least prevent them from using the same account at the same time (SAPGUI logins only; this doesn't apply to Portal logins).

Boris is right, this isn't exactly the right forum for this question, but I know it can be hard to find the different topic areas in this new SDN.  I personally find the navigation very cumbersome.

Best regards,

Matt

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Karin,

my recommendation is to contact your SAP account executive on this question.

It seems impossible to give a general answer on this as it may depend on your licensed products, type of users, choosen license metric, ...

This is not a direct answer, but hopefully still a valid hint.

[And a question that is not tightly related to software logistics ]

Kind regards, Boris