SAP for Public Sector Discussions
Foster conversations about citizen engagement, resource optimization, and service delivery improvements in the public sector using SAP.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implications of activating Budget Structure

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi :

Are there any implications involved if we activate budget structure ? I am asking this question because i am facing an issue now.There have some postings to fund centers and commitment items for which budget and posting address have been created. Now i have activated Fund . Now while recreating budget posting address of already defined fund centers and commitment in BS, i am facing issue.While modifying posting address i am getting an error message Message no. FMBS149 for some posting addresses . Upon checking i found there have been funds commitments on these posting addresses , to resolve the issue i tried to reverse their budget posted documents but still issue persist. I was able to recreate budget address by turning off budget address check in FMBOSTAT but issue is coming in recreation  of posting addresses because now i am adding funds to them as well. I have already defined fund master data and its derivation rules. Please guide me.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

Since the sequence of events was not the right one, don't be stunned by receiving error messages here and there. Implementing additional FM element, after most of the settings are done, could indeed provoke some reaction. For your case, I would delete completely the budget structure and re-define it. It will have no impact on your system, if it's not production. Otherwise, you should do the same, but in certain sequence of events. But, I assume, you are still testing...

Regards,

Eli

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

Since the sequence of events was not the right one, don't be stunned by receiving error messages here and there. Implementing additional FM element, after most of the settings are done, could indeed provoke some reaction. For your case, I would delete completely the budget structure and re-define it. It will have no impact on your system, if it's not production. Otherwise, you should do the same, but in certain sequence of events. But, I assume, you are still testing...

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos

Hi:

Yes i am testing , ok i will delete the Budget structure. I have a confusion regarding year dependent and year independent master data in FM. Sorry for not being coherent with the subject under discussion, but i really need to understand year dependent and year independent master data . For a University what kind of master data is recommended.In my testing i have kept data as year independent but still when i go to define Fund it asks for the validity date. Please guide me

Regards

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For the description, you can look at help.sap.com. For my experience, year-dependent data is nothing but a pain in the ... There is no real benefit, as you can manage sort of year-dependent data if you want to, even without switching this option. As for the cons, there are some and the main one is that you cannot go bakc once you activate this thing.

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos

Hi Eli:

When i m trying to delete budget address and budget posting address, system issuing error message. Can not delete budget data exists. I am in  test server please guide me how to get rid of the old budget and posting addresses? I even tried to delete entire budget structure using FM9M but upon selection it shows no data.

Regards

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

FM9M is for former budegting. Are you sure you are using transactions for BCS?

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos

Hi Eli:

I drilled through the whole menu but could not find any t code to delete BS . To delete posting address i tried FMBSPO_DEL and for budget address i used FMBSBO_DEL but it says budget data exists.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One particuler feature of year-dependent master data my business owner likes very much is that when he runs a report for a fiscal year, only that years master data (FM address) will show on the report; thus, he will not get a 10-page long report with a whole bunch of 0 $'s. Without year-dependant master data, each and every single posting/budget address (within the selection range) shows on the reports even if that address has long expired. Of course, my business owner is very SAP savy. We gave him a written instruction and he maintains the year-dependent data by himself every year. Never have had a problem.

Regards,

Ming

0 Kudos

Hi:

Thankx for updating about pros of year dependent master data. Well can you please tell how can i delete Budget structure in FM-BCS . I am in testing server.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will have to delete the budget data before you can delete budget structure. Use transacton code FMKUDELDATA to delete budget data first.

0 Kudos

Hi:

I faced an error message while deleting budget data. "You are not allowed to delete budget data in active version" and for AVC control . I resolved these errors by AVC ledger deactivation and application of OSS note 720306.

Regards

0 Kudos

Hi:

Doing above merely reset the consumable budget figures and its actual consumption but it never let me delete the budget addressed and posting addresses, Had that been possible i would have activated Funds and funded program to create budget and posting address as and when needed.

Now i started FM-BCS implementation on new server and here i have activated funds and funded program and have also marked them allow blank value. I created a budget address for fund center A and CI 123, in budget address creation system did not ask me to enter enter funds or funded program but while creating its posting address system is issuing error message to enter funds and funded program as well which are not needed here. How can i avoid from happening this. There is not a single transaction posted since its a new implementation but i do not what am i missing in configuration  please guide me

Regards

0 Kudos

There are some strong functional reason by which your customer requires to use the budget structure?

I ask you, because that's not something I ALWAYS use.

In fact, we did not use and FM / BCS works perfect without budget structure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Atif,

1. In order to delete budget structure, you have to execute FMBSBO_DEL after budget data is deleted by transaction FMKUDELDATA.

2. In BCS, if you want to budget on those assignments, you have to make them mandatory: Spro -> Funds Management -> BCS -> Budgeting -> Basic settings -> Use of master data -> Active account assignment elements in budgeting. Making them mandatory implies blank/space is no longer allowed.

3. You can not create budget/posting structure as when needed. However, you do NOT have to have a budget/posting structure. The difference is that with budget structure, you can do top-down budgeting, meaning parent funds centers can allocate budget to the child funds centers. Without creating a posting structure, every combination is postable unless the assignement itself is flagged as non-postable (eg, a CI can be flagged as non-postable).

4. Ask your client what their budget process is top-down or bottom-up? The documentation below will help you understand budget structure better:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/en/4f/fcd9542ca74395a38bd2abb77d4ece/content.htm

0 Kudos

Hi:

Client want to use top down budgeting approach that is why i used budget structure. Now see what my issue is in basic settings...activate account assignment elements i have activated funded program and has marked it allow BLANK as value for account assignment . Then in BCS...use of master data i have set funded program as optional. Now you know funded program i will use for creating asset based budget commitment , i first create its budget address in FMBSBO FP/FC/CI and did the same in FMBSPO, its ok here but for an expense related commitment e.g Travel expense i do not want to enter Funded program (FP) , so in FMBSBO i enter only fund center and commitment items and save , system let me save without entering fund program , its suit me acquirement now when i go to create its posting address in FMBSPO , i enter FC/CI and when press save system gives error to enter funded program . i do not need to enter funded program for this posting address please guide me how can i avoid this error.

Regards

0 Kudos

Hi:

Any update on above?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, in that case, you only need budget structure. Please delete the posting data and posting structure. Just create the budget structure. Then proceed with testing budget posting and actual posting.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, have you checked your setting in Spro -> Funds Management -> BCS -> Budgeting -> Basic settings -> Use of master data -> Active account assignment elements in budgeting? If you want to allow certain account assignments being blank, you have to set them as optional.

0 Kudos

Hi Minhong:

If i activate budget structure then i will have to create both budget address and posting address. I have done the customization you indicated in you last post but still i get error if i do not fill Funded program assignment in FMBSPO which is not required for expense related commitments, its required for Assets commitment item. This is the issue.

Br

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

There are two issues here. The first one is after you set blank allowed and budget optional for Funded Program, you are still not able to create posting structure with blank funded program. This is not the case in my system. With the above setting, I did not have problem creating a postable combination with a blank funded program. My speculation is that you have already posted data with funded program. If that is true, I suggest you delete all FM postings and then try to build posting structure. The second issue is having budget structure does not mean you have to have posting structure to go with it. Without posting structure, every combination is postable. Usually, people want to restrict budget addresses but not posting addresses.

Regards,

Ming