cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNP Planning areas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new  to the bowels of SNP config so I have a basic question :

I know that planning areas separate the data completely in terms of storage and access during processing so why do we have different planning areas (PAs) in SNP for tasks involved during one planning. For example, Scheduling agreements and extended safety stock planning appear to have different PAs . Let's suppose Schedulgn agreements are made for a components at various levels  of BOMs and some components on the BOM have static and some have extended safety stock planning requirments - then these need to be planned somewhere in the top-down planning run ... so how would separate PAs and Planning Books come into play and access data from each other ? What am I missing? The demand for the components needs to come from BOM explosion based off plannign run in one PA so how would the system go over to a different PA for planning components and then come back to continue with the first PA ? Same for subcontracting .

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member584840
Participant
0 Kudos

In SNP, most of the data, such as orders and forecasts are saved as order based elements, so are viewed in any planning book. Sometimes other data is saved as time series, eg if you want to create your own custom calculation to a key figure, which may be temporary or saved to livecache.

Often you need a number of planning books to be able to do different calculations, for example we have daily, weekly and monthly planning books, and also different planning books for running SNP heuristics and SNP optimizer, due to the different slight calculations. Ideally you should not have this many though!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, John.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

claire_yang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all, planning areas do not separate the data completely. All data is saved in Livecache and database. When you plan the data, you load the data to your planning tool.

For different planning purpose, we need different logic, therefore we need to create different planning areas, planning books and dataviews. all of them are just your planning tool.  They are used in your planning. The planning results is also saved in your Livecache and database, and can be loaded to other planning tool.

Claire

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very helpful answer.