cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule background job with start condition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAPers,

I met a situation that a job is used to collect firefighter logs which scheduled to run hourly. Sometimes the logs' volume is huge so the job failed. When we notice that, we will separate the failed job into several jobs. So i was thinking to schedule the jobs to run one after one with the option "after job". However, the new manually scheduled job have to avoid the original hourly jobs' running. So i was wondering if there is any way to do it in SAP SM36?

Example: Job A runs each hour. 1PM, 2PM, 3PM, etc It failed on 2PM.

Job 1, 2, 3, 4 are the separated jobs for job A on 2PM.

How can i schedule these 1, 2, 3, 4 jobs to run one after one and also avoid job A runs on 3PM, or 4PM...

I hope i am clear about this. Thank you in advance for those would give me advice.

regards,

Louis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well... Why don't you simply schedule a job with 4 steps to run after your job A?...

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan. However, if job A finished at 1:30 PM (started 1:00PM), then the 4 steps job started to run and it runs over half a hour untill next time the hourly job A starts again at 2:00 PM, then it would not avoid the running of the original job A.

If it can be like 4 steps in one job and it starts at 1:30PM after 1PM job A finished. After finish step2, it finds out the 2PM job A starts, then it will just wait until 2PM job A finishes. Then it resume to run step 3.

i know it's a pain in the ass. Thanks for your reply!

regards,

Louis

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Overlapping is a common occurance, you can either space more your jobs or simply continue to schedule this manually. Unfortunately your jobs dont see to be consistent on how long or how often this fixes are required so scheduling them can be a bit of a pain. 😄

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess so. SM36 have no such function that run one job after another and also avoid a certain job. have to do it manually. it does not occur so offen. Thanks Juan.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No problem, unfortunately options for non-periodical jobs are limited, in the case that this becomes a mayor issue you can get your abaper to create a routine but i wouldn't bother if its not a regular occurance.

Regards, Juan

Answers (0)