cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mimix vs Remote Journaling

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am considering DR solution for one of my customers'. Is Mimix a better than remote journaling?

What is SAP's support policy on Mimix?

Best regards,

Prince Sharma

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prince,

I have been working with Mimix on the AS/400 (I5) for over 8 years. The last three years with SAP. It is a very good product. Once a year we do a switch test where we run on our DR box for a week. We are in the middle of one right now. Once we got past the learning curve we have had successful test. Every switch test on our SAP boxes has been successful. Keep in mind there is a significant learning curve, especially if you have never used an HA product before. Also keep in mind it is not a product that you install and then forget about. You will need to spend time every day, 30 minutes to an hour for us, checking that everything is staying in sync.

Best regards,

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

We are also looking @ MIMIX for our HA solution. Was just wondering if there is a config document somewhere available. I checked the lakeview website.All they have or what I saw were whitepapers on MIMIX.

Is there any other place where we can find some good documents on configuring MIMIX for SAP??

Thanks

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

There is a best practice document for SAP-Mimix, mainly for audit and constraint check - as I remember. The detailed configuration could be a bit different depending on the customers' environments...

It is not easy to self-study Mimix... I took the 5-day operation course, still needed to hire consultant when replacing the backup server, and at the end we had to call the 610 number during the first switch... The good news is that consultants are available, and once it is stable, it serves you well.

I cannot agree with Don more about the learning curve, but I used to spend only 5 minutes to check the status everyday, about 15 minutes after weekly audit report, then an extensive check (2-3 hours) before planned switch.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Victor / Don,

I appreciate the time you've taken to answer the question.

I am considering OMS and Transformation server as well. How is Mimix as compared with these two?

It seems Mimix (earlier) had lot of issues with SAP products as per /notes. Any known bug which still prevails as per you?

Thanks a lot once again.

Best regards,

Prince

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prince,

Sorry that I cannot comment on OMS or Transformation server...

Mimix had issues with SAP product before - SAP is not a CL/RPG application like most of applications Mimix supports. Meanwhile, from Chris' message, he has a stable environment now. And the last time I had issue with Mimx was about one year ago, which was fixed by PTFs.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prince - We have been running MIMIX with SAP on iSeries since our implementation in 1998. It has been very very reliable for us, only a few issues after OS upgrades.

Good luck,

Margie Teppo

Perrigo Co.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the replies. Been a great help.

Is V5R3M0 stable enough with latest PTFs? or

Shall I consider upgrading OS (V5R4) prior to implementation?

Thanks and regards,

Prince

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prince - We have been running MIMIX on V5R3 since July 2005 and it has been very stable. Had initial problem with SQL fast delete, but both IBM and Lakeview helped us through it. We are about to upgrade to V5R4 and current MIMIX patches. Don't expect any problems there either. If I were just starting I would go with V5R4, you will have to do the upgrade sooner or later anyhow.

Good luck,

Margie Teppo

Perrigo Co.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Margie Teppo,

Thank a lot for your suggestion.

Best regards,

Prince Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abhi,

I agree with Victor. It is in your best interest to bring in a consultant to do your implementation. There are consultant's that have done Mimix installs on SAP machines. For something this important it is worth it to have their expertise.

Hope it goes well,

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor/Don.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions...I will probably will not be doing it myself...neither will my boss let me do it..as I have a lot of other stuff in hand to do..but for knowing sakes..asked it...have heard so much about it...wanted to know...hence the curiosity...

Thanks for all your suggestions...

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prince,

Mimix provides more functions, like switch framework, audit tools, etc. Many SAP on i5/OS customers are using Mimix and happy with the solution.

I don't think SAP would "support" Mimix, or other similar products. It is the other way - Mimix "supports" SAP.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prince,

We use mimix as our HA solution, you can set mimix up to use remote journaling (which we do) over the past 18 months we have worked closely with Lakeview in the development of mimix to work better with SAP we now believe we have a very stable product

Regards

Chris Hinchcliffe