Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Role Re-design strategy

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are going to re-design 845 single roles for our ECC system as part of SOX project. Currently, we have DEV->QAS->PRD landscape which is used for production support.

I would like to know, If we have two development and Quality box then it will be a good approach to the role re-design? Using two development and quality box for smooth transition of roll outs for different geographies. At a time one DEV-QAS-PRD will serve as a three system landscape for production support and the technical enhancements and maintenance activities for new roll outs will be carried out from DEV2 and QAS2.

Could you please advise if we really require DEV2 and QAS2 for the role re design and can't we use the existing DEV1 and QAS1 which is also used for production support ?

Regards,

Salman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure why you discuss system landscape. In my opinion it is irrelevant in your case.

What I would do:

1) start over (use extra character in role names for "new" roles so you can easily indetify them)

2) since I would start over, I would only repair old roles in cases where there is no other way. Then I would go to roles in "edit old status" mode, change the role, save, generate, finished.

3) for new roles I would use the old role menus as a template, structure it the same (I like it that way, other might prefer differently), remove what is obsolete or remove what is available in other roles (if you do SOX... what a funny way of calling a redesign project, but anyway..., it might mean that you will split one role into multiple smaller ones).

4) for every new role change it in "read old merge new" change mode in PFCG to use the up to date proposals (that means that no missing SU24/25 upgrades... otherwise start with the upgrade first).

5) while testing the role (first you when building the role to catch the low brainers + while users test the roles) move what`s suitable for it to SU24, "read old merge new" again...

...and voila... new authorization concept is born,

cheers Otto

1 REPLY 1

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure why you discuss system landscape. In my opinion it is irrelevant in your case.

What I would do:

1) start over (use extra character in role names for "new" roles so you can easily indetify them)

2) since I would start over, I would only repair old roles in cases where there is no other way. Then I would go to roles in "edit old status" mode, change the role, save, generate, finished.

3) for new roles I would use the old role menus as a template, structure it the same (I like it that way, other might prefer differently), remove what is obsolete or remove what is available in other roles (if you do SOX... what a funny way of calling a redesign project, but anyway..., it might mean that you will split one role into multiple smaller ones).

4) for every new role change it in "read old merge new" change mode in PFCG to use the up to date proposals (that means that no missing SU24/25 upgrades... otherwise start with the upgrade first).

5) while testing the role (first you when building the role to catch the low brainers + while users test the roles) move what`s suitable for it to SU24, "read old merge new" again...

...and voila... new authorization concept is born,

cheers Otto