cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between DXC connection and BODS replication????

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

can any one explain me clearly when to go for DXC connection and when to use BODS replication in SAP HANA

Regards

Sriram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

hello Sriram,

BODS is used when you need to replicate the Data from third party system, flat file or BW system to HANA System.

DXC is used when you need to replciate the ECC inbuilt Datasources to SAP HANA. While using DXC, BW is not mandatory.

Hope it is useful.

regards,

neha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi neha

correct me if i am wrong u mean to say DXC connection is for only ECC on HANA and if we have a BW already existing in that case we need to go for BODS replication..

Regards

Sriram

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sriram,

Yes, you are correct, DXC is for ECC only as of now and if you want to repliate the data from BW you need to use BODS.

Regards,

neha

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos
rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sriram:

DXC ( HANA Direct Extractor Connection): A “Game Changing” data extraction interface that

enables SAP ECC data extraction on near real-time basis using SAP BW extractors (aka data sources)

available within SAP ECC without the need for SLT or Data Services directly into SAP HANA. A

standalone BW system is not required

BODS (aka data services) is an ETL tool that belongs to the SAP Business Object product family which supports near real-time replication.

If you are a BW savvy shop implementing SAP HANA you should look at DXC first prior to looking at SLT or BODS as data replication options.

Hope this helps.

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additionally, the thread here http://scn.sap.com/thread/3189341 has some good discussion on DXC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

I must say I haven't implemented or tested DXC yet and my response here is purely based on reading the documentation on it. Looking at some of the comparison factors:

a. Ease of implementation: Not much different, roughly the same number of steps with setting up both - may be couple of more additional steps with DXC.

b. Data Transformation: As it stands today, I think with DXC the only place you could do data transformation is with customer exits using ABAP. BODS being an ETL tool, you could do pretty much any kind of transformation with it and also not to forget the additional data quality capability of BODS

c. Real-time replication: Both as I understand only provides near real-time replication (as of now) and have to be scheduled to run every few minutes

d. Elegant system architecture: if BODS is currently or proposed to be used in the system architecture to form the main ETL & data cleansing layer, I think it is best to stick with it. However, if you were contemplating using BODS only for ECC extractor purpose, I would think DXC is a good choice provided you are comfortable with an ABAP only transformation using customer exits.

e. Extraction speed: As I haven't tested DXC, not able to comment on this aspect.

Having said that DXC is currently only in its first release. With future revisions, DXC could possibly do far more than what it is able to do today.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Anooj