Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Role Re-design time/effort

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have 600 single roles which need to be redesigned based on the SOX compliance strategy. Could you please advise the time/effort required for each role in hours ?

I tried to search this but couldn't find in SDN.

Regards,

Salman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the reason why you can't find anything is that there is no such a magic number that gives you effort for role design. It depends on so many factors such as how bad is the current design or what tools you can use. Honestly, nobody can give you reasonable good estimate without looking at those roles and new requirements.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the reason why you can't find anything is that there is no such a magic number that gives you effort for role design. It depends on so many factors such as how bad is the current design or what tools you can use. Honestly, nobody can give you reasonable good estimate without looking at those roles and new requirements.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Thanks for help! I know it is difficult to provide time. I just need to give a rough figure in terms of time/effort to show the management. Like for example, developing a FI role which is having critical transactions and separating it by creating a task based role , testing (unit/regression) = time/effort per role.

Regards,

salman

0 Kudos

Effort Estimation factors:

This Redesign is a separate PROJECT, altogether.

So, this involves, not only time for Role Build, it will involve all the phases of a complete Project, i.e Planning, Design, Build, Test and Go-live.

Time required for Role build

-Business Requirement of roles are Analyzed, which includes discussion with Business Owners

-Role design is done based on Segregation, as per Master-Derived/Individual/Single-Composite Business

-Discussion with Functional Consultants, ABAPers for Security objects and standards.

-Time for Role build on DEV.and Unit, Assembly and UAT testing for each of the roles.

Approx. 1 month is required for 600 roles.

require points, if answered

0 Kudos

Hi salman.

I agree with all our friends who have responded, that there is no blanket rule for your requirement.

But : from My observations and from experience :

All said and done. It would take atleast 3-6 months after go live to have stability on the Live production system ESPECIALLY when you do re-design of authorisations and role assignment in any module. And esp Finance modules, if it is for world wide corporations with large user base world wide, you will have a great celebration 24 x 7  !!!

Because, practically many things become impossible to really implement in one go.

It takes time, to really RE-IMPLEMENT SOD and SOX compliance

Also, there could be times, there are always many things which a user might be doing for a very long time Which would get missed. And there could be repeated No authorisation errors. Which would also be part of your re-design and production support. So, depending upon your user base, given enough gaps for all these as well, wherein your testing is almost appropriate, take these time frames also into consideration.

Just my 2 cents

cheers

indu

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can narrow the span outlined here by asking yourself (or answering us) some more questions.

Examples:

** will you start over or try to save the current roles (redesign means new roles based on old ones or painfull conversion of what you have into a new state)

** how many "real roles" do you have? Do you have these 600 roles for 600 real jobs? Or are they 100 jobs and 500 little delta roles for this and that?

** (maybe the most important thing) Do you use menus based roles? Do you maintain SU24? Or are your roles like Swiss cheese and SU24 you don`t use at all or for initial load of proposals at most.

** how many admins will work on this project? Just you? 10 people? Depending on this answer you must then count in some time to get everybody on the same codepage (so 9 people don`t biuld nice roles and one is spoiling the effort... for example because of lack of previous training or any other reason).

** etc.

Cheers Otto