cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle SBP vs Mergefix

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Oracle gurus,

Could you please let me know, what is the difference between the level of SBP and the level of mergefix?

I would also like to know where can I check each of them so I can verify if my DB is in the last level?

Thanks and regards,

Rod

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Could you please let me know, what is the difference between the level of SBP and the level of mergefix?

lets try to clarify concepts.

1.- An oracle bug is solved by a "bugfix". It only solves ONE bug

2.- Different bugfixes solve diferent BUGs. If the bugfixes blong to the same area (modify the same "code") they may conflict. You can only install one of them

3.- To solve the previous problem, several "bugfixes" must be put together in a new patch, they have to be "merged", the patch is called "mergefix"

4.- This means that there are different "mergefixes" so there is not "one level of mergefix"

5.- Traditionally/historically, in SAP THE mergix was the CBO mergefix, so I assume you refer to that one. To know the level of this mergefix was important because it affect the CBO => performance problems, wrong data returned.

6.- Because it became difficult to handle (and check) the several docens of fixes that SAP required a new "patch" type was delivered. The SAP Bundle Patch

This is a bundle of

=> Patch Set Update (PSU) delivered by Oracle

=> SAP CBO Mergefix

=> other required SAP patches

Therefore, the difference is that they are two different kind of patches. one is contained in the other. Since the release of SBP, the "level" of CBO merge fix is related to the PSU. But, as teh CBO mergefix is contained on the SBP you should know only the level of SBP (I'm assuming you are in a more or less SUPPORTED oracle version => >= 10.2.0.5).

where can I check each of them so I can verify if my DB is in the last level?

As mentioned, you do not need to check the CBO mergefix level. Check only the level of the SBP.

Looking at the Oracle inventory is a posibility, but very complicated as there are docens of patches.

the best way is to check the SBP, a query on DBA_REGISTRY_HISTORY was provided. It will tell you the version of the SBP IF

* the POSTINSTALLATION STEPS of the SBP were performed (lots of people DO NOT read the README)

* You are in a "recent" version of Oracle, the SBP do not exist for 10.2.0.2, they started to be delviered for 10.2.0.4, but late.

there is a file called "version.txt" on the $ORACLE_HOME/sapbundle directory that indicate what version is installed. You can compare the content of this file with the result of the query on DBA_REGISTRY_HISTORY to know if the patch was properly installed.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello colleagues,

Thank you very much for the information provided.

Kind regards,

Rod

0 Kudos

Dear Rod,

Please refer the KBA note 1696147 to determine the list of Oracle patches or SAP Bundle Patch (SBP) that are installed via R3 level and OS level.

Thanks,

Ivy

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rodolfo,

Another way is to check table dba_registry_history.

The following statement can give you an idea:

select action_time, version, comments

from dba_registry_history

order by action_time desc;

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rodolfo,

>> Could you please let me know, what is the difference between the level of SBP and the level of mergefix?

SBP is a patch bundle. Merge fix is a patch that fixes several bugs on the Oracle

>> I would also like to know where can I check each of them so I can verify if my DB is in the last level?

You can check the patch inventory by the command, below under the opatch directory;

opatch lsinventory

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik