cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.2 Upgrade Initial Transport Question

jared_kobe
Participant
0 Kudos

The document "Identity Management for SAP System Landscapes: Upgrading from Identity Management 7.1 to 7.2" states that after upgrading all of the components, instead of doing an Export/Import of the configuration to the Production system, it says to export a transport from the QA system and import that transport into the Production system.

However, in the document "SAP NetWeaver Identity Management: Implementation guide - Transport", it states:

"The first time the transport is performed (the initial transport) the identity store in the target

system will be overwritten, and only if it is empty (contains no tasks). This makes it important

to make sure that the identity store on the target system does not contain any tasks during the

initial transport. Otherwise the transport (import of the transport file to the target system) will

fail."

Does this mean that after upgrading the components on the Production system, all task folders should be deleted from the Identity stores? Or am I misinterpreting the documentation?

Has anyone done such an upgrade and transport before and can you confirm whether or not all of the tasks on the Identity stores must be deleted before the initial transport can be performed?

Thanks,

Jared Kobe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jared,

You can delete the tasks on the production system, but you have to make sure that your identity store doesn't get overwritten.  If it does, you lose your data. 

We have had 2 go-lives at my current customer on IdM 7.2 and it is a very large implementation.  We prefer the export/import method out of the MMC.  This is not outlined in that document, but it is our preferred method do to the control it provides.  An all or nothing approach just doesn't suit us.  For this approach, we use a staging area Identity store to store configurations before migrating to production or QA.  All transports come from the staging area on cutover.

I've done 4 identity management go-lives and all have been done this way.  Wish I had a better answer for you right out of the document, but this is the way have gotten it done.

Regards,

Chris

Answers (0)