cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an email address limitation when scheduling reports using Web Intelligence?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Trying to schedule a report within Web Intelligence to email an Excel version of the report to 78 email addresses separated by semi-colons.  When the report runs, it fails with the error "write error. [Error sending mail message to SMTP server. Return code: [].]: [CrystalEnterprise.Smtp]".   The issue cannot be due to the size of the file attachment being too large because if I schedule this same report with only one email address, it works successfully.  Does anyone know if there is a limitation to the number of email addresses to be entered for a scheduled report?  Thanks for your time!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What version and patch level are you on?

Can you try with two normal email addresses like   user1@domain.com ; user2@domain.com please note that email addresses must be in that format

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP BO Enterprise XI product:12.1.0 R/3.  Have been successful when scheduling the report with 20 addresses.  I now rescheduled for tomorrow and included 40 addresses to see if I can pinpoint where the maximum amount may be.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michelle,

thanks for the info.

please bear in mind that even if one of the addresses is incorrect you will receive the error.

If all addresses are correct then we may be facing a problem of number of characters limitation rather than number of email addresses.

Please be also sure to be on SP4 or SP5 because we had a few fixes that interested XI3.1 SP3

Last advice, is to use the publications because they allow a more flexible and selective usage of the recipient lists, which can be dynamic (pulled from a Crystal Report or WebI Document)

Please see http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/xi3-1_bip_admin_en.pdf  page 919

Thanks

Best regards,

Simone Caneparo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, all addresses are correct.  Is there a limitation to the number of characters allowed in an email address?  I will check on the service pack to see if they can upgrade to SP4 or SP5.  I will also review the documentation you provided.  Thanks for your assistance in this issue!

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I  suspect that there could be a maximum number of characters in the object not in the email address, can you please paste the whole list of email addresses in a msword document and with the word count function see how many characters are present and let me know

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Words=78; Characters(no spaces)=2,936; Characters(w/spaces)=3,013.  Thanks for your help!

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michelle,

My suspect is that the maximum could be 2048  so next step I would try to see if it works with 2000 characters including spaces. 

However I do strongly advocate the use of publications, it is not practical to use the method you are trying to implement...

Thanks

Simone

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try the publications route and can only hope I have the necessary access to do it.  The BO we use is administered by a vendor we are affiliated with so depending on the permissions assigned may limit me but I certainly plan on giving it a try.  Thank you very much for all your assistance!

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Simone,

Have you found what is the max characters for email ID with space?

We are planning to send report in excel format to 200 users in email format, so i am very curious to know the max characters count

Please help us with your findings..

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi S J,

the limitation we were talking about is for the address, I haven't done the test because I didn't have time and it is more practical to use the publications.

As said, you should consider publications with dynamic recipient list, you enter the list of recipients in a webi document and use it as distribution list.

You can find how to in the BI Launchpad user guide at http://help.sap.com

Thanks

Simone

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

My organization like to go with email as destination and not willing to use dynamic recipient at all. They wish to use email ID under "TO"