cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualize PRD server using VMware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts!

We are working to move our physical hardware to virtualization!

I have ready many documents about vmware and SAP Virtualizaton but we need offcourse your advise.!

We have selected 2 blade server model BL460c GEN8 with 2 processor, each processor has 6 core and 12 threads with 64 GB RAM.

Option # 1

Can i have PRD and BI virutualize on both server with HA Clustering ?

Option # 2

1) I should use physcal server for HA Clustering for PRD and BI instead of virtualization. for that, i require 4 physical server( for clustering )

2) non PRD server can be virtualize like; dev,qas,sm7 and bi-dev

Option # 3

use the vMotion instead of Clustering!

Please share your expereince and advise to select and acheive the better option with the help of your experience.

Regards

Anwer Waseem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anwer,

let me suggest you reading this paper first: https://www.box.net/shared/dfc7fcac9c0a9df34420

It explains High Availability options for SAP on VMware in detail.

Summarized, you can run every SAP NetWeaver system on VMware vSphere and use VMware HA to protect against hardware failures. This gives you basic availability and is sufficient for many scenarios. If you also want to have software monitoring, use products like Symantec ApplicationHA, Neverfail vAppHA or SteelEye vAppKeeper. If this still does not meet your high availability requirements, use a 3rd party clustering software inside the VMware virtual machines ("in-guest cluster"); see SAP Note 1374671 (Windows) and SAP Note 1552925 (Linux).

Kind regards,

Matthias

Answers (0)