cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Java and ABAP EHP Separately

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to upgrade Solution Manager 7.1 ABAP and Java separately? The reason I ask is that the java installation is continuing to get errors so is it possible to skip the java upgrade portion for the time being then go back after the ABAP stack is done upgrading?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Option 1 : Are you doing upgrade from SM 7.0 EHP1 to SM7.1?

or

Option 2 : Are you trying to update the latest patches on SM7.1 link SP 7.1 SP01 to SP05?

If you are using option 1, I dont think so it is posilble,

because Solution manager is netweaver stack, which inclueds both abap and java. so unlike ERP system, you cannt insall solman system as abap/as java. It is the system of ABAP+JAVA. if you install solman,then java also installed together.I dont thibk so solmanup has those options. because solman up is the tool which uses sapup for upgrade abap parts of solman and Ehpi to upgrade java part. You cant split.

But try in solman Up giving any posiblity of separate both, you can check the upgrade guide https://websmp206.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000514522011E.PDF (3.6Technical Details of the Upgrade Process, page number 40, page num 69) states that solmanup proceeds the abap/java update simultanously.

Read the sap note Note 1462137 - Add. Info. About Upgrading to SAP Solution Manager 7.1

But if can also, my suggestion do both at one slot.

if your query related to option 2, yes you can prceed abap to latest sp05, and later java.

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I spoke with SAP and they said that I can upgrade the java using the JSPM tool if the ABAP stack is done so before hand. I keep getting an error that the Java has detected a higher version of SPs in the stack than what the XML file is reporting. I can't figure out how to update SMSY to show the correct version of what is installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Seems the Solution Manager system's Java SP levels are not being reflected correctly in the SMSY entry for the SolMan. Check in the SolMan SLD for details regarding the Java technical system of the solution manager. Make sure the SLD is getting correct information. This same data is normally updated in the SMSY also via the LMDB.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SLD is showing the proper version but SMSY is not relaying the information. I'm kind of in a bind since I can't upgrade the Java without the proper XML file but the LMDB won't update without the newer Java stack and won't relay the information to SMSY. Any ideas around this?

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Connie - we're running into similar issues with a lot of our systems. 

Have you tried :

1)     resynch LMDB from SLD?

2)     delete systems from LMDB and SMSY and let system regenerate (hopefully) the entries?

3)     run SMSY_FETCH_SYSTEM_UPDATE (note 1468559)

We've had to go through these steps in various iterations/numbers of times to get LMDB to behave.  It's not quite ready for prime time..

Former Member
0 Kudos

I deleted the system out but now it won't regenerate! LMDB isn't configured because our Java stack isn't on the correct version but I can't update the java stack since the components are not correct so the XML file is not producing correctly.

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

LMDB will update, but you need to manuall create a "Shell" for that system in LMDB.  Create the shell with the system ID, installation number (very important to put that in right away, doesn't like it if it's missing, at least in our case) and Database host name. 

We've had a few systems from NW7.01 that won't update to LMDB unless we have the shell in there, then it eventually starts pushing info.  I'm sure hoping that things get better once we get our systems to NW11 or NW3.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like I had an old model of the CR content running on my SLD. I've updated that and it appears to start syncing. Hopefully this will get the LMDB running so that I can continue the installation!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I updated the CR content on the SLD which got the configuration of the LMDB to work! Thank you to everyone who has helped on this issue!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Unfortunately its not recommended. It is not possible to complete the upgrade of only ABAP stack, as the tool synchronizes ABAP and Java upgrade steps with interdependencies.

If the tool is tricked somehow to ignore Java part - later the system will be inconsistent - hence not recommended. Also what is the error obtained during upgrade?

Regards,

Srikishan