Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ME 5.1 Database Schema Upgrade to ME 5.2

former_member323997
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

We are currently planning the ME 5.1 upgrade to ME 5.2, I have one concern about the database schema upgrade, as far as I know, some of the tables data type in 5.1 are different from the 5.2, like the NC_DATA table comments datatype in 5.1 is LONG, but in 5.2 it has been changed to NCLOB, I checked the upgrade scripts provided by the 5.2 AppServer installed folder, there is one SQL script file OracleDatatypeChange.sql to change those schema datatype, from the logic, it seems it will drop the column firstly from the table and then add this new data type column into the table. My question is, when we drop the column, as far as I know, all the data stored into this column will be deleted as well, and then add the new column with new datatype, but how to revert back the deleted data? If the upgrade will sacrifice those data, then we will reconsider those upgrade steps.

Please do give me the feedback, because it is very important for us.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Leon Lu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Leon,

All steps are descibed in Component Upgrade Guide, which is available here https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/instguides

Please perform the steps in the sequence described in the guide.

Regards,

Alex.

0 Kudos

Leon,

The data are not sacrificed because that step corresponds to table structure update when there is no actual records inside the new database. This is section "Importing Objects to SAP ME 5.2 Database".

When the update is finished, the data should be imported from the original databse to the new database. This is the next sections "Exporting Data..." and "Importing Data...".

So, finally your data should be fully imported.

Regards,

Sergiy

former_member323997
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Sergiy and Alex. I realized this when I submitted this question, it was my mistake that I didn't read the guide very carefully.

Best regards,

Leon

Answers (0)