cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport query related to Security Roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am a SAP security consultant with some basic knowledge about Transports.

I have a question based on Transports for my Roles:

If there are 2 transports in a QAS system with same Security Roles, but with separate values for those Roles, do they maintain their individuality?

OR the transport that came in latest overwrite the Tables and then those values will reflect in both transports going forward?

Scenario

I have a scenario where the same set of roles are being modified in separate Development Clients.

However, we have only 1 QA client.

RoleSet-1 - DEV 100 - Go-Live in PRD on 25-June

RoleSet-2 - DEV 200 - Go-Live in PRD on 15-June

RoleSet-1 - QAS 100 - From 1-june to 25-June

RoleSet-2 - QAS 100 - From 9-june to 15-June

* RoleSet-2 changes made manually to RoleSet-1 in DEV 100 to make the Roles consistent across landscape. This transport will be moved to PRD on 25-June so that RolesSet-2 changes are retained.

Now, When the transport for RoleSet-2 moves from QAS to PRD on 15-June, will it take the changes of RoleSet-1?

OR will it retain only the values that it originally contains from DEV 200?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about a common role in DEV 100 and 200 (Say role XYZ) but with different values in each client. Now you are planning to move this role(roleset-2) from DEV 200 to PRD on Jun 15th to replace the Role XYZ in PRD( which I assume is similar to XYZ role in DEV 100) and want to revert back the changes to original role from 25th June for which you are importing the RoleSet-1 in PRD.

If this is the case you can go ahead with your plan. When we have two transport requests each having different values for the same table in database, the latest transport request will overwrite the changes by old transport request.

You will anyways gets a chance to test this on Quality system before actually putting those roles in Production so you can check this on QA.

If my understandings are not correct, you can still test test your case in QA system with all permutations to get a clear idea.

Regards,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sorry, I got my dates mixed up in the original topic

Scenario

I have a scenario where the same set of roles are being modified in separate Development Clients.

However, we have only 1 QA client.

RoleSet-1 - DEV 100 - Go-Live in PRD on 15-June

RoleSet-2 - DEV 200 - Go-Live in PRD on 25-June

RoleSet-1 - QAS 100 - From 1-june to 15-June

RoleSet-2 - QAS 100 - From 9-june to 25-June

Overlapping of RoleSet-1 and RoleSet-2 in QAS - from 9-June to 15-June.

RoleSet-1 (DEV100) in introducing changes to PRD.

RoleSet-2 (DEV 200) is also introducing separate changes in PRD

But RoleSet-2 should not move to PRD before 25th June.

RoleSet-1 should move to PRD on 15-June.

Since these 2 RoleSets have most of the same Roles we needed to use DEV 200 for the 2nd set of changes.

The DEV 100 changes (RoleSet-1) is already sitting in QAS since 1-June.

When RoleSet-2 Transport goes to QAS on 9th June, it will overwrite the changes of RoleSet-1.

But the transport of RoleSet-1 still exists as entity(with the RoleSet-1 changes) in QAS.

Now, when we move RoleSet-1 Transport to PRD on 15-June, will it take the latest changes of RoleSet-2 from the Tables (USTXX, AGR_XXXX) or will it take the original values from DEV 100?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

It will take the original values from DEV 100.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

I understood your query now ..

The changes will be taken from Dev-100.

Regards,

Pradeep