cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent install of BO 3.1 SP5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

I am trying to perform silent install ( Server and Web) on W2K8 but setup.exe and msiexec.exe just keep running for more than 24 hours and I do not see any activity in LOG...so not sure whats going on. I created the .ini file using the following command :

1. setup.exe -w "c:\test.ini"

Once that is complete....I hist cancel just before the last step.

Then I performed the following :

1. setup.exe -r "c:\test.ini" -l "c:\test.log" /qn+ CADNODE="NODE1"

Now once the install started...It created the install folders under BUsiness Objects folder and it started writing in the Default Log file ... instead of the log file path provided in the command line. Now ,setup has been in Taskmgr for 24 hours...anyone with idea on whats going on ?

Thanks,

Sam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

XI3.1SP5  Are you installing it as a patch to SP3 or the full install w/ SP5?

I have done both and manually and have noticed long install times.  Here is what I discovered.

In my installations, I backed out the SP3 install because we found that there were performance issues with doing it as an add-on.  Primarily because some of the coding for Tomcat 5.5.33 is there and the system doesn't update the Tomcat from 5.5.20 to 33.  The uninstalls with 6 languages took over 6 hours.  The registry doesn't get cleaned up as many registry entries from the previous install will remain and regardless of what you select during the install, the registry entries were taking precedence.

We were not reseting the database for obvious reasons during this upgrade.  Once we uninstalled and manually cleaned the registry of all BusinessObjects 12.0 and Apache entries, we reinstalled the Full SP5 load to get everything updated correctly.  (ran into the same problems years ago with the XIr2 when going to SP2)

The install for SP5 Full takes about 4 hours with 6 language packs.  We found that there is a bug, even on clean installs on new machines, that regardless of your setting the CMS port to 6400, that the install code is taking the SIA port and applying it to the CMS, so you have a port conflict and it will hang at the verifying CMS running step in the install.  This does timeout and continue on it's own, but takes forever.

You will have to wait until the install is complete and re-create\generate the SIA from CCM to reset the port properly.  Trying to just stop the SIA and manually change the port doesn't work for some reason.  These were the work arounds we had to do.  I planned on logging an SAP ticket on that this week, as we are still rebuilding servers to get it updated correctly.

But we have noticed that one of the SP5 bugs still remains and is difficult to nail down.  About every 90 days or so of continuous OS operation(SIA is restarted every night with backups) Tomcat becomes unresponsive and a restart shows that the STDOut and STDERR logs are recording that the startup is hanging at Initializing Performance Management, even though we didn't install PM.  It has something to do with Tomcats interconnectivity to the other servers in the distributed installation, as restarting the Tomcat service or reboot (warm boot) of the Windows server doesn't resolve it. But a full system shutdown of all servers, and bringing them up in sequence from a cold start does seem to rectify the issue for the next 90+ days.

venkateswaran_k
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Whatis the log file says....

2. in the start up , did u find any Business objects itemdisplayed...

3. Check parallely, the tomcat port for the CMC application. 

Regards,

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

Please see the response below :

1. Log file create in %TMP% .... has registry entry and BO installation, Tomcat installation and deployment logs....and then suddenly NOTHING....no errors or exceptions.

2.In startup I see Business Objects XI 3.1 --> Business Objects Enterprise --> EMPTY (nothin there!!)

3. Tomcat ...I do not see serice of it runing ... neither Tomcat process in Taskmgr. ALso, when I hit http://<ServerName>:8080......I get nothing.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

venkateswaran_k
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you supply the license key - supplied to your soft installaltion.. 

Probably, it is hanging for it...

Regards

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

Yes I did....in fact , I can see it in .ini response file.

Thanks,

Sam

venkateswaran_k
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sam

Can you please paste the logs... last bunch of lines...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

Please find the last lines of logs. It is about 90 MB.....providing the last bit. I am sorry it's not that well formatted....I couldn't find an easy way to do it in the editor.

Let me kow if you needed something else.

Thanks,

Sam

Buildfile: wcommon.xml undeploy_config: preconfig: undeploy: undeployapp: Deleting: C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\conf\Catalina\localhost\CrystalReports.xml Deleting directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\CrystalReports Deleting: C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\deployment\workdir\tomcat55\deployed_apps\deployed.CrystalReports.properties BUILD SUCCESSFUL Total time: 3 seconds Ant return code: 0 6/5/2012, 23:18:29: RunRedistProgram("C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\deployment\wdeploywrapper.bat" -DAPP=CrystalReports undeploy). Return value 0 6/5/2012, 23:18:29: BOBJDeployment: now deploying the CrystalReports warfile with cmdline: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\javasdk\bin\jar.exe" cf CrystalReports.war -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\warfiles\WebApps\CrystalReports" . -J-Xmx1024m JAVA_HOME not set, trying C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\JavaSDK Using JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\JavaSDK Buildfile: wcommon.xml config: Loading config.tomcat55 Loading CrystalReports.properties Warning: as_mode property not set. Standalone deployment assumed. preconfig: checkargs: Validating configuration... Configuration validated! buildwar: expand_and_package: Deleting directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\deployment\workdir\tomcat55\resources\web\CrystalReports Copying 1 file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\deployment\workdir\tomcat55\application Created dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\deployment\workdir\tomcat55\resources\web\CrystalReports\WEB-INF prepareapp: _appbuildfilecall: postpackageapp: predeploy: predeployapp: deploy: deployapp: Deploying CrystalReports in conf/Catalina/localhost Copying 1 file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\conf\Catalina\localhost Deploying CrystalReports in webapps/CrystalReports Created dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\CrystalReports Configuring Tomcat as a service... serialize_conf: BUILD SUCCESSFUL Total time: 4 seconds Ant return code: 0 6/5/2012, 23:18:34: RunRedistProgram("C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\deployment\wdeploywrapper.bat" -DAPP=CrystalReports deploy). Return value 0 6/5/2012, 23:18:34: BOBJDeployment: Languages - 'en' 6/5/2012, 23:18:34: BOBJDeployment: building the PerformanceManagement warfile with cmdline: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\javasdk\bin\jar.exe" cf PerformanceManagement.war -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\warfiles\WebApps\PerformanceManagement" . -J-Xmx1024m 6/5/2012, 23:19:46: RunRedistProgram("C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\javasdk\bin\jar.exe" cf PerformanceManagement.war -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\warfiles\WebApps\PerformanceManagement" . -J-Xmx1024m). Return value 0 6/5/2012, 23:19:46: BOBJDeployment: AlwaysDeploy: 0 isNestedInstall: 0 6/5/2012, 23:19:46: BOBJDeployment: undeploying the PerformanceManagement warfile first with cmdline: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\javasdk\bin\jar.exe" cf PerformanceManagement.war -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\warfiles\WebApps\PerformanceManagement" . -J-Xmx1024m JAVA_HOME not set, trying C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\JavaSDK Using JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\JavaSDK Buildfile: wcommon.xml undeploy_config: preconfig: undeploy: undeployapp: Retrieving key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\Procrun 2.0\BOE120Tomcat\Parameters\Java\Options Copying 1 file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\deployment\workdir\tomcat55 Key value before strip: -Daf.configdir=C:/Program Files (x86)/Business Objects/Dashboard and Analytics 12.0

venkateswaran_k
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sam

As such It does not show any error.   However, yu scan thrugh that log fle for any warning / error / etc...

Based on the log, it has completed the tomcat it seems.... 

It is very strange that it takes lot of time...

What is your Database specification ?  Did yu select the default database of BO or you specified any other database?  If so, is the authenticaton s working .. connectivity between BO and database server are working?  -

You may have to look for differnt possiblity of error.. 

sorry for not able to help you 100% - but throw some light on possible hurdles...

Regards,

Venkat

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

According to the logs it is failing during the wdeploy process.  More specifically, it is stopping during the Tomcat configuration of Performance Management. 

Are you planning to use Performance Management?  The deployment of this web application uses a lot of disk space and memory.  Can you confirm if you have sufficient disk space and memory around the time that the installation gets hung?

You could also try running process monitor from microsoft sysinternals to see exactly what the installer is trying to do when it gets "stuck" (writing or reading from the file system, writing to registry, etc)

Alternatively, as a solution you could disable the web tier components installation using the switch

REMOVE="WebTierComp"

Then you would just have one more step of running wdeploy after the silent install is complete.  This could also be automated using a batch file or install package since wdeploy itself is a command line tool.  Refer to the XI 3.1 Deployment Guide for steps to run wdeploy and selectively choose which web applications to deploy.  You would also benefit from this because you could tell wdeploy to not install performance management (if you dont need it) and this would considerably speed up the installation time.

Sincerely,

Toby Johnston

SAP America, Inc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hanks guys for the help....will look into it. Do you guys know why are logs getting written in TEMP folder ... even though I mentioned the Log file path ?

Thanks,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

and : I just have this specific query. The logs here suggest that the warfiles are actually getting undeployed. How are you referring that the warfiles to get deployed properly.

Please share your knowledge on this.

Thanks,

A.

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It's difficult to say based on the log fragment you posted.

Can you zip up the full install log and your ini response file and upload it to the link I provide below?

https://sapmats-us.sap-ag.de/upload/index.cgi?id=63PX3HYXL2ADF1CUJI75XF7RIT5P3O9G77003THZEOTBZN12KQ

Can you post your exact system information? (cpu, memory, harddisk space)

Did you check to see how much resources are left on the host after the install appears to hang?

Have you checked task manager to see if the installer is still processing anything after it appears to get hung?

Have you tried running process monitor to see if the installer is still accessing files or regkeys?

Can you confirm, if you run the silent install twice or three times does it get stuck exactly in the same spot each time?

Thanks

Toby Johnston

SAP America, Inc.