cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BW BEx on Linux.

Former Member
0 Kudos

May I know if SAP BW BEx is able to run under Linux, preferrably, Fedora Core 5 (kernel: 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5) with SAPGUI for Java 6.40 rev 6.11 on Java VM: Sun Microsystems Inc. Version 1.4.2_09-b05.

From what we had learn from our consultants, SAP BW BEx can only work with Microsoft Excel, where one can insert or delete columns which means it has to be run under Microsoft Windows; however, we have more than 30 sets of SAP clients running under Fedora Core 5 with OpenOffice.org 2.0.

Therefore, before implementing SAP BW, I would like to make sure if we have to invest new OS and Office Suite.

Any clue would be highly appreciated, thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I have installed SAP GUI for windows on Debian Linux using CrossOffice 6.0, the SAP GUI works fine, the Query Designer loads and I did some changes on some reports.

I didn't do a hard test for query designer, I am not a Report Builder I am only a SAP Basis. I use the SAP GUI for windows on Linux for check the Process Chain's logs and others thing that I can't do with SAP GUI for Java.

If you need anything, send me an email.

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

as a BI consultant, let me clarify some things.

(Keep in mind that I talk about the NW04s release here)

The SAPBex Suite consists of several products:

1. Query designer (to create the queries)

2. Analyzer (fetches date from the BI backend, and OLAP functions, all in MS Excel)

3. Web Application Designer (to create web applications based on queries)

4. Report Designer ( first attempt of SAP to formatted reporting)

This software is all MS windows only. I have no knowledge of it being released on Linux ( although I certainly hope so).

However: the web applications built with the Web Application Designer will probably work, as it's only HTML which is generated. You only need a browser. The development of the app itself should be done on MS Windows.

All the rest: forget about it. You might be able to run it with WINE or Cedega, but SAP won't give you any support. Especially the Analyzer: this software is built in .NET and is basically an MS Excel addon (macro's).

But I keep on waiting for a Linux based SAPBex suite, as it will work better

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

I think I read somewhere that there are two separate tools for SAP BW: SAP BW BEx Tool and SAP BW BEx Web, which the later one was on Java.

However, I wonder if the Java based SAP BW BEx Web is as good as the Excel integrated since frankly speaking, our ABAPer was too lazy to write reports and forms on ABAP, instead most of the reports and forms were created on SAPScript which we have some problems (logos and line not shown) in the preview of the document before printout.

Howard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Your information is very much appreciated.

So you mean that there would be two or even three levels to access into SAP BW, which means, there would be information providers (staff) and knowledge workers (managers). Therefore, the managers can still access into SAP BW reports via browser while staff are to accomplish reports via BEx or something like that?

If this could be true, I think we can accept the concept since we have nearly 10 Windows clients on hand, just because our ABAPer was too lazy to write reports on pure ABAP but on Report Painter and SAPScript, the output has to go through Windows printers. By then, we have to hook up those share printers on Windows machines. Otherwise, we would be having a complete Linux world in the company.

Personally, I am not against Microsoft nor others but I cannot stand to be kicked like a soccer when I tried to approach Microsoft Thailand few years back to request them for a proposal of number of license that I'll need for my company. I was kicked to this call center and that vendor, at the end of the day (after three months), only one page of quotation with single price per set listed, all I have to do is to multiply the numbers of machines. But how about the CAL's? Not listed. Therefore, we decided to migrate to Linux on this occasion of implementing SAP ERP.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> May I know if SAP BW BEx is able to run under Linux,

> preferrably, Fedora Core 5 (kernel:

> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5) with SAPGUI for Java 6.40 rev 6.11

> on Java VM: Sun Microsystems Inc. Version

> 1.4.2_09-b05.

[...]

> Therefore, before implementing SAP BW, I would like

> to make sure if we have to invest new OS and Office

> Suite.

>

BEx is a Windows-Only application, it uses VBA (Signed Macros) and some native OCX'es to connect to SAP and maintain data.

I doubt, that BEx itself as standalone application will be ever made available on Linux - for various reasons - however, I would also love it.

Additionally the "new" BEx (7.00) is based on the .NET framework and uses components, that are not available on Linux (Adobe SVG and more).

However, BI 7.0 has a "BExWeb" but I haven't tried using it on Linux/Firefox (or Mozilla) and I don't know if it uses ActivX elements but then again, with the necessary Portal installation you will need IE though because Portal Administration will not work with Firefox (at least it's not officially supported in case of problems).

I can see two approaches for this misere:

1. Install a Windows 2003 Server and enable Terminal Server mode, so you have only one box to maintain, patch and backup

2. Use Codeweavers Crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/) to install a Windows IE, SAPGUI and Excel (I have not tested that) but you could try.

The first approach would be the less cumbersome one.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thank you for your advice. It seemed to be a black Valentine's Day to me.... Can you imagine how hard I had fight to migrate to Linux and how much effort we had put in to make all of our servers to be on Linux, even our domain controller is on Linux!

And, now, with this SAP BW, I am to switch back to Windows~~~ Perhaps, shall squeezed my ABAPer to work harder on the ABAP reports from time being and wait to see if SAP would come out with Linux solution. And, I surely believe SAP will since Oracle had released their Unbreakable Linux.

Anyway, further advice are very much welcome since I am totally freshy on Linux and SAP.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thank you for your advice. It seemed to be a black

Valentine's Day to me.... Can you imagine how hard I

had fight to migrate to Linux and how much effort we

had put in to make all of our servers to be on Linux,

even our domain controller is on Linux!

This is just GREAT!!!

And, now, with this SAP BW, I am to switch back to

Windows~~~ Perhaps, shall squeezed my ABAPer to work

harder on the ABAP reports from time being and wait

to see if SAP would come out with Linux solution.

And, I surely believe SAP will since Oracle had

released their Unbreakable Linux.

Don´t wanna frustrate you but I doubt that. SAP will not support Unbreakable Linux (I remeber there was an official note but I can´t find it now).

The main problem is: There´s not enough demand for that. Check that site here - or any other mailing lists about SAP. I know only a very few people who do NOT use Windows on their SAP servers when they start a SAP project. It´s just because "everyone KNOWS Windows" and it´s easy to click here and there not caring about what is really happening when a light does turn from red to yellow and green.

In fact, Windows can be MUCH MORE complicated and indeterministic.

If there were just more IT departments of your manner..

Anyway, further advice are very much welcome since I

am totally freshy on Linux and SAP.

We don´t use BEx, we use only Web Reporting (actually BI 3.5) - and those reports run fine on Linux/Firefox. So if that would suffice you would only need to give your BI developer(s) a Windows box (or just in a VMWare or better in a XEN guest).

--

Markus

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don´t wanna frustrate you but I doubt that. SAP will not support Unbreakable

Linux (I remeber there was an official note but I can´t find it now).

It is SAP note 997990

Best Regards

Hannes Kuehnemund

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Markus,

- For the option-1 to use Windows 2003 Server with enable Terminal Server Mode, do we need Citrix on this 2003 Server box ??

- For the option-2, we have installed Cross-Over on Linux Terminal Service Server, MS-Office were working well from Linux Client, but when we tried to install SAP-GUI 6.40 (under windwos), after we copied all files into Linux Server, and after we execute to install the SAP-GUI, its hang-up, please help !!!

We tried other alternative too, we have install SAP-GUI on Linux-Client, for this client we have connected to the Linux Terminal Server to run the MS-Excel, it working well. But when we execute rrmx, it hang-up with the messange LOOKING FOR SUITABLE VERSION OF EXCEL. So, can you help us for this problems ??

Best regards

Hasin Widjadi

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Markus,

- For the option-1 to use Windows 2003 Server with

enable Terminal Server Mode, do we need Citrix on

this 2003 Server box ??

Terminal Server (on W2K3) is enough if you don´t need special Citrix features.

- For the option-2, we have installed Cross-Over on

Linux Terminal Service Server, MS-Office were working

well from Linux Client, but when we tried to install

SAP-GUI 6.40 (under windwos), after we copied all

files into Linux Server, and after we execute to

install the SAP-GUI, its hang-up, please help !!!

I´m afraid, I think I can´t help you there... Did you try to contact their support?

We tried other alternative too, we have install

SAP-GUI on Linux-Client, for this client we have

connected to the Linux Terminal Server to run the

MS-Excel, it working well. But when we execute rrmx,

it hang-up with the messange LOOKING FOR SUITABLE

VERSION OF EXCEL. So, can you help us for this

problems ??

How do you connect to the terminal server? rdesktop?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Hannes,

I am a bit confuse regarding the SAP supporting strategy for Linux Platform ?

I have read someone posted on this forum regarding SAP comitment to Linux

I past it here for your information

Thanks

Hasin Widjadi

-

Hi There!

I found with the help of Pascals Adami two PDF files with the

statements I was looking for:

“As a platform-neutral business application provider, SAP does not

specifically promote any one of the supported platforms such as UNIX,

Windows, and Linux. However, if Linux is your choice, you can confidently

move to this open-source platform in the knowledge that SAP solutions

running on Linux are as robust and enjoy the same full support and

long-term commitment from SAP and its global partners as they do on every

other operating system.”

Henning Kagermann, Chief Executive Officer, SAP AG

"However, SAP’s commitment to Linux doesn’t end here. SAP recently

decided to make Linux one of its two strategic development platforms for

SAP NetWeaver.This means that all our applications are now developed from

scratch to natively run on Linux."

Source: SAP Insider

Unfortenatley I cannot add the files to the forum and the forum does

not let me reward you for your help - I always get an error page.

Thanks all for your help!

Kind regards - Arne Tornieporth

Message was edited by: Arne Tornieporth, 13. Oktober 2006

-

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Hasin,

Now I am confused ;-). I already know both arguments and I'm somehow not sure what your intension is. Please give further details, or if you have any question regarding these two arguments, please let me know and I'll try to answer your questions as far as I can.

Best Regards,

Hannes Kuehnemund

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hannes,

I think he's trying to argue with that article about the seriousness of SAP doing development on Linux - what they are in fact not doing if we go back to the topic of this thread - and I have to say he's right...

<b>IF</b> commitement was that big as described there, there should be a BEx (and other things) for Linux too.

--

Markus

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

>... about the seriousness of SAP doing development on Linux

> - what they are in fact not doing if we go back to the topic of this

> thread - and I have to say he's right...

Development on Linux is meant to happen mainly on the server side, unfortunately. This is not stated clearly

Up to now all server products are available on Linux. Hopefully the missing client products will follow

Best Regards,

Hannes Kuehnemund

former_member185837
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Unfortunately this is a major issue, since BI frontend development is a critical component ([Enterprise Reporting, Query and Analysis|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/16/a6fe41b227096fe10000000a155106/frameset.htm]) of a BI project.

I thoroughly agree with [Riccardo Escher|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/profile.jspa?userID=19155]'s opinion (see this [post|;). If SAP does not support the IT scenario [Enterprise Reporting, Query and Analysis|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/16/a6fe41b227096fe10000000a155106/frameset.htm] on linux, then SAP do not support SAP NetWeaver Business Intellingence on linux (and this IT scenario is not some special feature of BI, rather it's one of the three scenarios which a BI solution is based on). Therefore I'm afraid all the hype about platform independence seems not to be consistent with SAP's delivery.

Cheers, [Davide|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/profile/Davide+Cavallari]

Edited by: Davide Cavallari on Dec 28, 2007 12:47 AM