Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename SAP-SID

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

we would like to rename our sap testsystems <sid> and also the instance number.

What do I have to do for this WITHOUT USING SAPINST->COPY!

Is it enough to do the following:

1. Renaming the database <SID>

2. Rename /usr/sap/<NEW SID>/DVEBMGS<new instance number>.

3. Maintain the following files in /sapmnt/<SID>/profile (change SID and instance number)

3.a <SID>_DVEBMGS<NO>_host

3.b START_DVEBMGS<NO>_host

Is this enough?

Or what else do I have to do.

Thx in advace

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

xymanuel
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Be aware that rebuild of D Systems is not recommended, because you will loose all versiondata of own programms (if you do not transport them to P).

Also you will have sensible producitve data in D, which must be guarded by authorizations. But this is not possible in an DEV system.

As a fact, SAP does not recommend rebuilding a D system out of a P.

SAP does not recommend or support SID renameing for productive systems, but on DEV or Quality.. its ok on your own risk. We rebuild our Q as a DB Copy of our P twice a year. And we rename the SID from e.g. PRD to QUA.

Dont forget e.g.

- Renaming of DB and DB Schema

- BDLS

- SE03

- STRUST

- SCUA SCUG (if ZBV)

- SPAD

- BD64

- WE20

- WE21

- SM59

- SCOT

- SMT1 SMT2

- RZ03 RZ04

- STMS

- DBACOCKPIT

etc...

... dunno your exact configuration but you have to check all of these systemdependent things.

Kind regards

Manuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

No sure how useful a crash course would be. But this is what I would suggest assuming DB is Oracle ..Is it ?

1. To start with shutdown SAP and DB.

2. Take a complete backup of all relevant SAP/DB file systems.

3. . Start DB in Mount state and execute orabrcopy.sh as per the system copy guide. Else create controlfile trace usimg SQLplus. All info is in System Copy guides (for database specific section). Change controlfile trace to adapt it to new DB<SID.

3. Uninstall SAP and DB (retain data files though).Clean up Oracle Home as well and other directories except datafile directories.Cleanup existing SAP directories though take backup of profiles so as to have a reference for parameter values.

4. Next create new mount points for new SID and mount existing file systems (currently mounted on mount points for old SID).

4.Next start SAPinst-->System Copy-->Target system Import.. This is akin to installing a new system but not using standard SAP export but your own DB export/DB datafiles.

5. Choose Backup/Restore method when it asks you for it.

6. Let it run and take actions as asked.

7. SAPinst would take care of various OS/DB level activites that you would have to perform otherwisedoing a standard DB refresh.

8. Once it is done execute application level post refresh steps as mentioned by Manuel.It is in the guide as well.

Finally and foremost go through the system copy guide to have a clear idea of what needs to be done.

Point is the steps I have mentioned are recalled from memory and not exhaustive necessarily. Standard guide in marketplace plus OSS notes are very important to read before you start.

And if it is sucessful transfer $1000 to my Bank A/C for the crash course ..(just kidding )

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian,

If the OS is Unix it is easier but if it Windows it is lot more difficult because of registry getting involved !! And you have to be really  a master at knowing what all is dependent of <SID> and Instacne number.

I have done it on Windows also as well  on Unix without SAPinst but trust me it can be painful. Further the list you have published is incomplete. Theoratically you don't need to change DBSID. And is so you are basically doing a system refresh kind of activity involving <sid> change which means control file trace,change of OP$mechansim etc. (if it Oracle). In case of MS-SQL you may not need DB<sid> change but schema change might be needed. Anyways your list in heavily incomplete. You might want never OS level users and even if you don't want that you still need to change environment variables. Lot of files would using SAP<sid> and DB<sid>. You need to change all those. For ex: SAPServices, couple of Oracle files.. Lot of things. Even the new profile files that you create need to be changed. There will be SAP<sid>, DB<SID> and Instance parameters they need to be changed. Better approach is either forget it or else use SAPinst !!

Regards.

Ruchit.

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

thx for help, once again

Yes it is unix.

We would like to try this way, before using sapinst.

Do you know a guide which describes this way?

Thx in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

There is no guide for this as infact SAP neither recommends nor supports this method. So if there are issues in future SAP might refuse to support owing to this approach (although these are not productive instances. Honestly I would suggest SAPinst route (homogenous system copy).The effort would be much less !! and would well controlled by SAPinst. Why would you want to put in so much of manual effort and then still be unsure of the changes. I mean for just the thrill of it doing it manually might be a learning experience but I wouldn't really recommend it in cases involving system that would have proper usage.

Again let me assure this list is not exhaustive and there will be activities you would have to do in either cases (when SID change is done manually or using SAPinst) For ex: CTS changes, Logical system name change (if you want) etc..

Regards. 

Ruchit.

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good morning Ruchit,

thx for help.

Could please give me a crash-course in using the Copy-Mode of sapinst.

I found a guide, but it's around 120 sites.

So what are the necessary steps in sapinst?

Please note, that source system is on the same host.

Thx for help

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will have tough time if you proceed with above, I don’t see any other way without SAPInst.

Regards,

Sreenivas .Y