cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we copy and adapt standard GRC Ruleset?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP GRC Gurus

I have a query on recommended approach to GRC Ruleset management, we are using GRC 10 and implementing ARA and SPM.

The approach we have taken to-date is to:  maintain an offline copy of the standard GRC ruleset.  We had planned to commence modifications to
existing standard ruleset.  We have now compiled list of custom z transactions and identified which functions they should reside within.   Critical and sensitive transactions and roles are also identified.

I have investigated this topic and found little concrete information on recommended approach.  We want to ensure we are not creating any potential issues in relation to upgrades etc.  Can you advise on your approach?  Did you create a duplicate/customised ruleset in GRC and deactivate the original ruleset?  Did you assign a new naming convention to the duplicate/customised ruleset to identify it as custom e.g. Z?  My concern with this is the step away from
the intuitive F*, S*, P* etc.    Where risk FI001 would then become ZFI001 and require *F* search.

Please advise on best approach which will allow for easiest upgrade process?  Advise if there is anything I have missed.  Any insight or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks, Gráinne

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gráinne,

Your approach is sound and steady, which is a good thing. It is a good idea to have your own custom naming convention, but there is nothing wrong with just modifying the SAP standard delivered ruleset, with brand new custom risk definitions and functions beginning with a "Z" prefix etc. You don't strictly have to step away from the intuitive F*, S*, M* etc, as the actual Risk may still be valid for your custom rule set.

Many companies may not have a custom SAP GRC rule set defined prior to the implementation of the tool, therefore the standard delivered rule set is a good starting point, with the aim of customisation over time to effectively build up/trim the rule set to the companies requirement.

As long as you have an offline copy backed up on a regular basis, I would advise you to maintain and build up the rule set as your company finds comfortable to make the most out of the risk analysis and support your remediation and audit efforts.

All the best

neerajmanocha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Grainne,

Approach you are choosing is the correct approach. Standard ruleset delivered by SAP is based on best practices and usually all the customer reviews/customizes/updates them before using them for their business.

You can update the TEXT files delivered by SAP with your customized data and then upload them into GRC box.

This is what the best practices are.

Refer to below SAP Notes which are related to Rules. Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards
Neeraj

986996 - GRC Access Control- Best Practice for Rules and Risks

1611006   Risks are not showing in SoD report that should

1604722   Risk Analysis and Remediation Rule Update Q3 2011

1600667   Transactions that conflict with themselves

1552985   F110S rule incorrect - lists F_REGUL_KO should be F_REGU_KOA

1541577   Impact of S_TABU_NAM in Risk Analysis and Remediation

1535330   Compliance Calibrator 4.0 - Full Rule Deletion

1519557   Rules by Process under Rule Library do not show numbers

1446680   Risk Analysis and Remediation Rule Update Q2 2010

1349969   Function AR04 - incorrect permission activated