Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Instances on one Host - Diagnostic Agent

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I will install a second central instance (test system) on one host.

On the host already exists a Diagnostic Agent called DAA.

In sapinst I have to enter the diagnostic agent.

Do I have to enter the same again or do I have to install another one (example DA2)?

Thx for help

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Ruchit mentioned, one diagnostics agent per host is usually sufficient. But in incase you want both the systems on this physical host to be connected to the Solution Manager (via the Managed System Setup), only one diagnsotics agent on the host would be problematic. Because once you associate the existing diag agent with one system via the SolMan Managed system setup, the same setup run for the other system again asks for diag agent association.

For this the only option would be to use logical hostnames for the two systems on same physical host. Then during the diagnostics agent installation, you could perform 2 agent installations with different logical hostnames.

But if you do not intend to connect these instances to solman via managed system setup - please consider the above info as fyi

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srikrishna,

I don't think you need multiple diagnostics agent even in that case you have mentioned though I have never practically tried it out.

Remember when a diagnostics agent is registered in SOLMAN SLD there is no mention made of managed system. Diagnositcs AGENT is independent of managed systems and collects data per host. No reason why you can't use the the existing single diagnostics agent for multiple managed systems of SOLMAN.And diagnositcs agents are meant to be hooked up to SOLMAN eventually. So the 1 diagnostic agent rule should hold in good stead in this case as well. Infact having one DA will save work as the agent would already be registered with SOLMAN (done for a earlier managed system on the host)

There is no direct linkup between diagnositcs agent and managed systems.Had there been it would have asked you for the system to which diagnositcs agent has to be hooked up at the time of installoation of DA itself.

As as matter of fact you can have DA installed on a host which is not hosting any application server.It can be the first installation..

This blog endorses my view point too:

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/blog/2012/01/23/agent-data-in-the-sap-solution-manage...

Please check the graphic with SAPSID marked asC1,C2,C3 etc.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Only 1 diagnsotics agent is needed per host. Please check OSS note 1365123. Particularly check the attached pdf.

The pdf on page 4 clearly states: For each solution manager system have only one diagnosiotcs agent per physical,virtual or logical host running a managed component.

Same rule applies for host agent as well.

Normally it wouldn't ask for additional DAA (I guess so). Just check if the existing DAA is up and running.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Christian,

Just to clarify, as for the note mentioned by Ruchit, only one diangostics agent per host AND per solution manager system is supported

This means if you aim to connect the host to two solution manager systems, then this should be a valid reason to have two diagnostics agent installed (with different SID / instance number). If you are only connecting to one solution manager system, then stick to one agent installation per host (regardless number of technical systems you want to monitor on that host)

Kind regards

Julien

ricardocarrega_filho
Participant
0 Kudos

I just ran into this situation and wasn't sure if it was OK to install two agents for the purpose of connecting one instance with two different Solman instances. Your response clarified it. Thanks a bunch!