cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of issues we can face during incremental backup using RMAN_UTIL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to take the incremental backup of our SAP servers using RMAN_UTIL interface, we are already taking backup using UTIL_FILE and UTIL_FILE_ONLINE interface and have not faced any issue yet. But now we have scheduled incremental backup also.

Would request you to please let me know if anyone has faced any issue during backup using RMAN_UTIL.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

issues or not might be related to the 3rd party vendor of your backup solution.

Currently I work with TSM and netbackup, and both of them do the job.

RMAN eats CPU like hell, esp. if you use compression, so if you have "Oracle Advanced Compression" licensed you should switch the compression algorithm for rman to "medium" to give your CPUs a break. Compression factor suffers a bit, but only little compared to the amout of CPU used otherwise.

There are several rman - options to be considered. Multiplexing and multiple session might speed up backups, but may cost storage on the backup side, if your SW has additional compression features. (i.e. deduplication in netbackup). So you might require a bit tuning.

If you do not have many changes for INC backups, RMAN reads from the disks will be a heavy hitter for your disks. Consider to activate block-change-tracking in this case. It will make rman only read changed blocks instead of scanning the entire DB for changes.

Volker