cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous system copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are planning to perform homogeneous system copy from our quality server to developemnt server of two different landscapes. Quality server has two clients 100 and 500 and development server has only one client 100. Here I need to understand during import in developemnt server

1) Sapinst will automatically create another client 500 to save data of client 500 of quality server.

2) Data of client 500 Quality server will get lost.

3) Is it possible that I can clean the file system (except files which store oracle installation) of development server after this development 100 client will get deleted and both the clients 100 and 500 of quality server will get created by sapisnt during import.

I know my question might be complicated because even I don't have any idea regarding system copy.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Hans

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Homogeneous system copy or system copy would create an exact replica of your QA system to your dev system . The entire QA system would be copied to your dev system including all client specific and client independent data. SAPINST would extract the SAP data from the source QA system and import into dev system . SO whatever clients (both 100 and 500) are there in QA system would be copied to dev system and the entire dev system would be wiped off.

As for filesystems, cleanup all the data before starting sapinst and then start the installation. SAPINST will not copy any data from QA file system to dev file system . It will create all files required during the installation step.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks Ratnajit it wil be really helpful for me. But what about control files in sapdata1,origlogA,origlogB if I will clean my target (DEV) system all 3 files will get lost or sapinst will create them again during import and I hope source (QUA) system control files won't get copied.Please correct me if I am not getting it properly.

Both source and target system should have same file system structure?

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Hans

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You do not need to worry about the oracle data,redo and control files.

If you use sapinst , you need to export and import the data.

The Dev system would be installed from scratch and data would be loaded by the R3load utility .via SAPINST.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ratnajit u rock !!!!!!

But here again I stuck in some more points :

1) Both source and target system should have same file structure becuase in our case I have found lots of differences in it.

e.g

source system                     target system

/sapmnt                              /sapmnt/<SID>

/oracle/<SID>                     /oracle

2) What about trans directory which is being shared on our servers it will also get copied during export.

3) There are certain other mount points are shared on quality server which is not available in development system so all these mount points need to be available in dev also.

OMG I am getting confused. Are these questions valid as per the system copy perspective.

Thanks & regards

Ashish Hans

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1&2 . Source and target  file systems would be different except for trans which is shared. You do not have to do anything with transport directory. Source SID is different from target , hence filesystems would be different in naming convention.

3. Check for what those mount points are mounted on QA . If they are required by any application on the dev system after copy , then you need them .

Regards

Ratnajit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is you base os?

and

what is your DBSID and SAPSID on both server?

Regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Operating system : AIX 5.3

Database : oracle 10.2.0.4

Source DBSID and SAPSID : RTQ

Target DBSID and SAPSID : RTS

Regards

Ashish Hans