cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open text and DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have few doubts related to Archiving and Document storing please clarify me in detail even though its a sought of basic question..!!!

1. Store documents(Scanned attachments) can be stored in R3 database , then why sap recommends to use DMS for storing documents?

2. What is the difference between open text server and dms?

3. Is it possible to store archive data  in dms? ,

4.Why open text server is used beside DMS to store archive data?

Although i have some idea about the scenarios, still im confused, so pls  needed a detailed explanation for this queries.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

1.  Hi Tony

To answer your question:

Store documents (Scanned attachments) can be stored in R3 database , then why does SAP recommend to use DMS for storing documents?

While it is possible to store attached documents in the SAP production database, this approach is not recommended because it can grow the size of the database significantly, and impact performance, backup cycles and maintenance/upgrade timeframes.

What is the difference between the OpenText server and DMS?

SAP DMS offers document management functionality natively integrated to the SAP PLM processes, with such specialized features as BOM conversion and CAD viewer integrations.  DMS does not include its own repository, but can be configured to use SAP Content Server.  Alternatively, OpenText offers a complete suite of content management products and capabilities all built on a single repository.  This repository offers advanced security, compression, hardware abstraction, scanning input capability and viewers for over 250 file types.  It is foundational for the other OpenText products, and can also be used to store DMS documents.

3.  Is it possible to store archive data in DMS?

No, it is not possible to store SAP data in DMS

Why is the OpenText server used beside DMS to store archive data?

DMS has no storage capability itself but the documents managed by DMS can be stored on the OpenText Archive server.

Hope this helps!

-John

former_member186160
Contributor
0 Kudos

nice explanation. any SAP experts pls validate my understanding here.

so as per my understanding here, SAP DMS is always needed to link documents to SAP ERP [as DIR records].

but the repository for SAP DMS can be SAP content server or Open text or anything else that is supported.

also no separate license for DMS, it comes free with SAP S4 hana license?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186160
Contributor
0 Kudos

nice explanation from John. any SAP experts pls validate my understanding here.

so as per my understanding here, SAP DMS is always needed to link documents to SAP ERP [as DIR records].

but the repository for SAP DMS can be SAP content server or Open text or anything else that is supported.

also no separate license for DMS, it comes free with SAP S4 hana license?