cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting handheld using ethernet?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Currently we are using USB (cradle) to connect the hadheld to the PC with help of Active Sync. But I find an ethernet slot in the cradle. Is it possible to establish conenction using ethernet for synchronization.

Also we have got a cradle with multiple docks so as to use multiple devices. But this has only ethernet and not USB. Please let me know how to establish connection using ethernet and also is it possible for synchronizing multiple devices through a single PC??

We are using Symbol pocket PC with Windows Mobile2005.

Thanks

Raj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

If there is no stable Internet connection, they can synchronize using data carriers. All standard connection types, such as GSM, GPRS, LAN, WiLAN and Cradles are supported.

At least one application must be installed on the mobile device to allow the user to synchronize with a data carrier.

For this:

<i>Add the following parameters to the file MobileEngine.config:</i>

1. For activation of data carrier synchronization: MobileEngine.Sync.ViaFile.Enabled=true

2. For the possible media sizes for data carrier synchronization: MobileEngine.Sync.ViaFile.DefaultTargetSizes

3. For the minimum medium size: MobileEngine.Sync.ViaFile.MinimumTargetSize

<u><b>=========For Synchronization Using Data Carriers============</b></u>

1. If you want to use data carrier synchronization, connect the data carrier to the mobile device or place it in the drive

2. On the SAP MI start page(MI WebConsole), choose Data Carrier Synchronization.

Importing Data Provided by Administrator on Data Carrier

If you have not yet received any synchronization files, you can skip the next two steps.

3. Enter the synchronization files you want to read and choose Continue.

4. If you received data on more than one data carrier, change the data carrier to import more files. Copying Synchronization Data for the Administrator to a Data Carrier

5. Select a data carrier and start synchronization.

The system creates one or more synchronization files in a suitable size for the data carrier.

6. If you have already received data from the administrator and imported it, and if you are using the same medium to transport the data, remove the synchronization files that were previously imported from the data carrier or change the data carrier.

7. Copy the created synchronization files to the data carrier. If you want to use a CD or DVD, copy the files to a temporary directory and then burn them on the appropriate data carrier.

8. Give the administrator the data carrier. The administrator can then synchronize it with the back end.

Hope this helps.

I once tried doing this but did not succeed...let me know if you have.

I have learnt this stuff from SDN help.

--Regards

Divya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We connected through ethernet with the help of eConnect (WM2003) and iDockit(WM2005). Since we are using WM2005 we concentrated on iDockit. It has to be installed and then quite simple. Just couple of setting changes depending on the cradle and this establishes the connection accordingly. Working fine.

Thanks

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

That's great. I learnt from you.

Thanks you.

Bye

Divya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

If you are using an ethernet, establishing a connection would be the same as establishing a connection of a PC. You can use the same procedure to get into the network. In this case the PDA will get its own IP address. It is possible to synchronize multiple devices as MI will assign a new device Id for each device.

Best Regards,

Karthik