cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile approach via GW or Duet Enterprise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurues,

I would need your input about this false antinomy.

We are starting a project to implement Purchase Order and Requisition approval in Outlook/ShP and it would be great to get it in mobile devices.

There are other business scenarios that are beign developed for mobility via GW.

DuetE is still under assessment.

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Karina

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karina,

For mobile implementations you will need SUP with GW underneath is as a connectivity layer. If you are implementing Duet Enterprise, you can leverage the fact that DE is based on Gateway as the model developed for DE can be consumed by SUP and vice versa.

DE takes care of all the integration needs between the SharePoint/Office and SAP, GW provides the common consumption layer, and SUP takes care of mobility!

Hope this helps-

Ella

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ella,

a correction wrt "as the model developed for DE can be consumed by SUP and vice versa"; this is not true, SUP supports the new OData channel, while Duet Enterprise (FP1) only supports Generic Channel.

Therefore it is not possible to reuse the same GW Model; you will have to generate a GW Model for Duet Enterprise consumption with Generic Channel; and similar GW Model for OData channel for consumption through Gateway layer and SUP.

William.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would assume that in the near future (next FP, Next release) Duet Enterprise which is based on Gateway will leverage the OData channel ... and may facilitate the use of a common GW Model.

By the way I am still not yet convinced (= I do not see the added value) that we will need to a Dedicated Workflow App for SAP ... my common sense (without deep knowledge) would be to develop a Web app based on Sharepoint 2010.

A typical End User has/will have multiple devices.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karina,

I'm actually involved in a project in which we bring SAP workflows to iPad both as mobile site App via SharePoint platform in combination with Duet Enterprise; and as native App via SAP Gateway and SUP.

Wrt your question for advice, what are you aiming at:

* mobile site App or native App; in case of latter, added value of Duet Enterprise is nihil

* if mobile site; is SharePoint 2010 for your company a (valid) web application platform

Regards, William.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks William for your reply.

Apologizes for my ignorance but I don't know the difference btw mobile site app vs. native app.

And I don't know what it means about whether ShP is a valid web app platform for us. (ShP 2010 and K2 are already installed and being used).

Thanks again,

Karina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karina,

A native App is installed on the mobile device; for iPad and iPhone this means to install via iTunes AppStore.

A mobile site is a web application; which you operate from the mobile device via browser.

You can find numerous postings on the subject Web App vs Native App; e.g. this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/fredcavazza/2011/09/27/mobile-web-app-vs-native-app-its-complicated/

William.