cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(SM50) How could I set the number of processes?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts.

Our DB is Oracle 10g.

The problem is

our update processes are only 7, and when I try to create a index in huge table,

all the update process is fulled with index creation(in SM50), so no one can update to any other table.

I mean that when I create an index, all the other update processes are delayed.

I think I can set the maximum process usage when create index.

Then I'll set 3 or 4 process at once when create index, but I can't find the way to do.

Or am I have to increase the number of update process?

Which one is possible? And how can I do that?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks like you are having a lot of user activity on that table. One possibility is to try to create the index, when not nothing else is running on the system.

Cheers Michael

jairo_pedroza
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Kim,

I agree with Joe answer. You don't need to increase number update. It won't solve your problem. You should follow below recommendation:

For tables larger than 1GB:

You may need a long time to create the index. Database specific options may be available to accelerate index creation.

When you want to use a database specific method to accelerate index creations you can use the following method:

1. Create the index on the Development system using transaction SE11 (ABAP Data Dictionary). Note the exact name of the created index.
  2. Create the index with the exact name on the Quality assurance system on database level using the database specific tool (see below).
  3. After the index is successfully created, transport the index to the quality assurance system. This will only transport the ABAP Dictionary information. As the index already exists, it
    is not created after the transport.

1. If steps 2. and 3. are successful repeat these steps on the productive system.

Template: Create the index using SQLPLUS with the following command:

CREATE INDEX "BSIS~Z" ON BSIS (BUKRS, HKONT, BUDAT, BLART) TABLESPACE PSAPBTABI ONLINE COMPRESS 6 PCTFREE 1 PARALLEL 6 NOLOGGING;

ALTER INDEX "BSIS~Z" NOPARALLEL LOGGING;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAP Note released: 334224 - Important notes for creating indexes

Hope it help you,

Jairo Pedroza

Former Member
0 Kudos

In short, you said that I have to make the shape of the index first what is empty at QA system.

Then make the index at Developement system and transport to QA system.

And if it's not in trouble, make the shape of the index at Production system.

And transport from QA to Production.

Is this right?

And I wonder that if I'm not make the shape of the index and transport to Production system, then the Update process is fully used?

Am I right?

jairo_pedroza
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Kim,

I have used this process often. Let me try to explain.

1.You will create index in Development System using SE11. In this case, it will create in SAP Dictionary and in DB.

2.Generate request

3. Go to Quality Assurance and create index using SQLPLUS and later, transport request in order to adjust SAP Dictionary.

4.If everything is OK, repeat process 3 in production system.

You won't have problem with SAP update process, because when you transport request, it will see index already exist in DB and will create in SAP Dictionary. It is really fast.

Regards,

Jairo Pedroza

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Increasing number of update processes won't help.

I think your problem is quite different.

Table will be locked during index creation, and update processes have to wait.

There used to be a SAP note describing a workaround,
Note 334224 - Important notes for creating indexes
Unfortunately that note isn't available currently.
If your index isn't that urgent, you might consider to wait till that SAP note will be there again.

hope this helps