cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP versions with the years.... and where comes Netweaver?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there community,

I'm pretty new here and I would like to clarify some things before proceeding with lecture and learning. Even thought I visited some courses, I've never seen a really good chart that explains the different SAP versions throughout the years....

For example, in wikipedia it says:

The first version of SAP's flagship enterprise software was a financial Accounting system named R/1 called as YSR. This was replaced by R/2 at the end of the 1970s. SAP R/2 was in a mainframe based business application software suite that was very successful in the 1980s and early 1990s. It was particularly popular with large multinational European companies who required soft-real-time business applications, with multi-currency and multi-language capabilities built in. With the advent of distributed client–server computing SAP AG brought out a client–server version of the software called SAP R/3 (The "R" was for "Real-time data processing" and 3 was for 3-tier). This new architecture is compatible with multiple platforms and operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows or UNIX. This opened up SAP to a whole new customer base.

SAP R/3 was officially launched on 6 July 1992. It was renamed SAP ERP and later again renamed ECC (Enterprise Core Component). SAP came to dominate the large business applications market over the next 10 years. SAP ECC 5.0 ERP is the successor of SAP R/3 4.70. The newest version of the suite is SAP ECC 6.0.

In SCN I found the following post:

SAP Version ----------------Year

R2
R3 1.0------------------------------1992
R3 2.0, 2.1 -----------------------1992
R3 3.0B, C, E, G, 3.1G ---------1997
R3 4.0A ---------------------------1998
R3 3.0D ---------------------------1998
R3 3.0F ---------------------------1998
R3 3.1H ---------------------------1998
R3 3.1I ----------------------------1998
R3 4.0B ---------------------------1998
R3 4.5A ---------------------------2000
R3 4.5B ---------------------------2000
R3 4.6A ---------------------------2001
R3 4.6B ---------------------------2001
R3 4.6C ---------------------------2001
R3 4.7 -----------------------------2003
ECC 5.0 (mySAP ERP2004)-----2004
ECC 6.0 (mySAP ERP2005) ----2005

I do understand SAP NetWeaver is the technological platform for all SAP business applications.

My question is, is there any good chart, where you become a good overview about all changes SAP has made (also the big jungle related to name changes) throughout the years....?

Regards

Sam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the unofficaial timeline for SAP: http://timerime.com/en/timeline/242039/unofficial+History+of+SAP/

I Googled with "SAP Timeline" keyword.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a bunch, thats already helpful!

Any more charts out there for me/us to see?

Cheers

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think this video helps you too: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KKYzGB0f_Q

Answers (0)