cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export with migmon & table splitting, import without using migmon?

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I got a question in mind. If i perform my migration export with table splitting via migmon, do we need to use migmon for import as well?

I've performed the table splitting during export, and import with normal sapinst.. I don't face any issue. FYI, sapinst version is 700.

However, this doesn't seem to work for R3 4.7. All the table splitted during export were not imported and picked up at all. Size of all splitted table is 0 after imported.

Any idea? We should create a load order file that covers all the splitted table for import? Is this necessary? by default, the load order will pick up according by size for import.

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In 640 system , the sapinst does not call migmon to perform the data load and itself does the entire work of migmon . For migmon to work in 640 systems , you need to call migmon separately.

Table splitting feature is only supported by migmon and not sapinst .

In 700 system , the sapinst calls migmon . So migmon is used for both export and import whether you call it explicitly or sapinst calls it. So either way migmon is used.

Hence table splitting  works fine with import using sapinst as it calls migmon internally.

The load order is alphabetical unless explicitly mentioned in the order by file.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnajit,

A small correction 4.7 is 620 and not 640 (NW04) which is ECC 5. This problem won't come with NW04 but with lower releases using SAPinst. Ofcourse for table splitting to work R3load and effectively the kernel has to be 640  but 4.7 supports that.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

SAPinst 7.00 comes integrated with MIGMON but same is not the case when SAPinst is used for installing systems below NW04. And table splitting needs to use MIGMON.

For export migmon needs to be started manually in client mode and it is easy but for import the problem is no exit step as such is available for starting MIGMON. Run time intervention is needed to stop SAPInst forcibly and then start MIGMON.You need to induce some kind of error thereby

In SAPinst 7.00 since MIGMON is integrated the whole process is transparent and at the same time is seamlessly integrated but 4.7 (<NW04) you have got to do it manually. NW04 there is partiial integration where there is an exit step for both export and impior. NW 7.0 and higher it is fully integrated.

Regards.

Ruchit.

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the answer. as far as i know, migmon is integrated into sapinst starting from version 2004s...

I perform the export/import with version nw2004, and the export was perform using tablesplitting with sapinst/migmon.

I tried to import using sapinst without calling checking the migmon option, all the splitted tables were not imported.. and i've checked the option "Individual Configuration for Data Load", found out PKGFILESIZE for all splitted table are 0.

For example, Table CE1OP01 is splitted and the screen show PKGNAME = CE1OP01.STR and PKGFILESIZE = 0.

Just wonder why sapinst couldn't read the STR file size for splitted table. FYI, this screen appears before the migmon is launched.

Thanks!

Nicholas Chang

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The SAP note Note 971646 - 6.40 Patch Collection Hom./Het.System Copy ABAP

clearly states in the section pasted below that migmon is mandatory for using table splitting.

----------------------------<D029385, 22/JUL/08>------------------------

Table splitting: perform export/import with MigMon

The export and import has to be performed with the Migration Monitor when the table splitting feature is used.

So you need to check the option "Start migration monitor manually" else SAPINST will not be able to handle splitted tables.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Ratnajit

blanca_serrano
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Nicholas,

If you want to use the table splitting feature, both the export and import must be done using the Migration Monitor. This is a Prerequisite that is mentioned in the System Copy Guides:

Preparation for Table Splitting:

The export and import has to be performed with the Migration Monitor when the table splitting feature is used.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Blanca