cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XDN listener must be started manually

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have made the change from XDA to XDN as per OSS note 1257635. I have also modified QSTRUP as per note 1703667. QXDAEDRSQL starts up just fine and STRRMTDB runs. However, the listener job (XDNDEVLSN) does NOT get started. If I log on as DEVADM and start it manually, it starts just fine. This sounds like an authorization issue but I can't find any logs or joblogs indicating this. Can someone tell me what is going on?

Thanks,

Rick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi Rick,

which version of XDN did you activate ? With port 963 "for the complete iSeries" or with port 39nn "per SID" ?

... in the first case, it would be normal, that the job would be missing, because it wouldn't be needed at all (even when I do not recommend that setup ...)

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker - the per SID (actually it's port 96nn). If the XDN listener job is not running, I will have dozens (hundreds if I'm not fast) of SQL dumps. I even put a DLYJOB DLY(120) after the start of QUSRWRK in QSTRUP to make sure that QXDAEDRSQL was started (and it was). I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

oh yes, sorry - the port is indeed 96nn ;-))

What XDN parameters did you activate in detail ?

I guess, you are using dbs/db4/allow_cancel - I would strongly recommend, to remove that, except, when you would really need this feature (I do think, I do have no customer, that needs that).

=> the XDN server is no longer critical for you in my eyes (even when it should be up in general)

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

The only parms I know of are:

dbs.db4/driver_type = XDN

dbs/db4/xdn_port = 9601

dbs/db4/xdn_trace_file = XDNTrace

It's the listener job that won't start automatically.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

then, I'm running out of ideas offline ...

You could open a ticket with bc-db-db4 ...

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I'm going to try this CALL from OSS note 1434967 inside QSTRUPPGM:

CALL PGM(XDNCONTROL) PARM('SpawnListener'

'pf=/usr/sap/<sid>/SYS/profile/DEFAULT.PFL' '-priority20'

'-jobqueueQUSRNOMAX' '-wait120')

It's supposedly for distributed systems, which we aren't really, but it does what I want; At least I think it will. It's kind of hard to test stuff that requires an IPL!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

FWIW, this call to XDNcontrol did NOT work.

However there is CL code in OSS note 71085 to create a program called STRSAPSYS which holds great promise. It sets all the environment variables for a given instance with a call to R3INLPGM before calling STARTSAP. First test is good. My apologies to anyone who was offended by my earlier comments. (shouldn't let frustrations out on a talkboard)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The CL program in OSS note 71085 solves my problem. I don't know why this is an issue with the XDN driver but it was not with the XDA driver, but at this point I don't care. Thanks.

Answers (0)