cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timestamp change during Import

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could anyone please help me in understanding the below thing.

I know that if we have a timestamp field it changes whenever we import and value gets changed for that particular field.

But my concern  is if i am autoimporting the same file without any change( neither in XML input file neither in data manager) the timestamp is getting changed.Could anyone please tell me the reason for this.

Is this anything to do with setting of Skip Unchanged Records=True/false in MDS.ini file or any NULL handling case.How can  we avoid this? 

MDM version :-  7.1 SP07

Regards

Nitin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I tried the scenario by using the parameter " Skip Unchanged records" at repository level.

In MDS.ini file i kept the parameter unchanged at server level and at repository level i set the parameter " Skip unchanged records=True"

But still the timestamp was changing for the import of same file without change.

Actually we have another field say X of Time stamp which gets changed for every import and because of this change the Modified data field say Y( timestamp) is also getting changed.

The field selected for X is of type lookup field.

Kindly reply to this post for solution

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you restart the server after changes to MDS.INI file?

Rgds,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes i have restarted the server after the change in ini file

Regards

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually we have another field say X of Time stamp which gets changed for every import and because of this change the Modified data field say Y( timestamp) is also getting changed.

The field selected for X is of type lookup field.

I am assuming that the field "X" is tracked in the Time stamp field "Y".... Is the field X value in the Import file different from the field X value in the Data manager for the same record?since you are saying that the "field X value gets changed"!

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Rgds,

Praad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Hope I am not confusing.Let me explain with example.

Example:- Field A:- look up type

Field X:- timestamp ( tracks field A only)

Field Y :- timestamp( tracks all fields )

Now when we autoimport the file without changing data( or we can say same file ) the the value of field X ( timestamp) get changed( dont know why ).Now because this field X gets changed , the value of field Y also changes.

We want the value X and Y should not change

Regards

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding the skip unchanged records option, may be it has to do something with the Key mapping values(the console guide says that the key mapping values are not covered by this parameter) try by setting the key mapping to No and check if the time stamp X changes. since i donot have a system right now, I will confirm once i get an access to the same.

Did you try for an alternate solution through a workflow?

I mean you can trigger a workflow on record import and you can control the syndication of the records.

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nitin,

I get you and after reading the belowmentioned I tried the import by maintaining remote key and also without it.

True/

False. If set to True, records updated by an import will not receive a change timestamp if their field, cached qualifier, or tuple field data values are not changed by the import. Import- and syndication-tracking timestamps will also be skipped. Skipped records are still recorded in the Import log, however.

Note: Attributes, non-cached qualifiers, and key mapping values are not covered by this parameter, and any import to these data types will trigger a record change timestamp, whether or not the data values in the record actually change as a result of the import.

I observed -

If I had a lookup field also mapped in the Main table mapping,the timestamp always changed whether remote key for lookup was maintained or not.

The same was the result when I had no remote key maintained at main table level.

However,Timestamp works fine with Text fields.

I would like to hear from other SDNrs too on this.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the try and your reply.

Actually for me even timestamp gets changed for Text field also.

Below are the steps i performed

1. Changed the parameter " Default Skip unchanged records =True",first at repository level - did not succeed,changed at server level , but same results.( server restarted each time after changes were done )

2. Took the same XML file and mapped only 5 field of Text data type and tested, but still timestamp changes( Skip maintained still at server level only)

3.Created a new file ( delimited text),created port and autoimported ,but still timestamp changed

I do not know where am i going wrong or is it the MDM behavior

Regards

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The import map contains of both action Create and Update all mapped fields in same map.

And also there is no calculated field in our model.

I also found a thread with same concern and also reply was related to Skip unchanged records in mds.ini file.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1887066

Regards

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

I gave it a thought and it seems likely that your import action is either Update mapped or Replace.

In case of replace the timestamp will change for obvious reasons (deletion followed by creation of record) whereas in case of Update mapped it seems you have calculated fields in your model.

These calculated fields are getting recalculated even with import of same data.

Please comment.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Since their is no change in the Input file and the data sitting in Data manager, what is the Import action you are selecting is it Updated all mapped fields or Update only Null values??

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

PLease update the matching action.

What is the field you are using as timestamp,is it Update date?Please detail its usage.

Thanks,

Ravi