cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No template for portal/bw 7.3 ; sap jvm memory parameters ?

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ,

We have just upgraded our BW 7.3 LAndscape and we are encoutering

Performance issues with the BI JAVA 7.3 Support PAckage 5, the BI

queries are poor performing compared to before the upgrade, and

navigating within the Portal takes significant time.

By looking onto the NWA Dashboards, we realise that most of the

heapsize memory is used. (currentlly set to 2GB which I assume is to low)

I was looking for a dedicated SAP Netweaver J2EE 7.3

guide to optimise SAP JVM memory parameters, I couldn't fing any relevant SAP

note for 7.3.

SAP Note 1248926 - AS Java VM Parameters for NetWeaver 7.1 based

products mentions some Templates but only available for CE, ByDesign,

PI, MI.

I checked in our configtool there are no Template for EP or BI

I have found similar discussions pointing to the the Performance Best Practices Guide for SAP NetWeaver

Portal 7.3 http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7284

, which refers to SAP note Note 1551721 - Performance Tuning of Enterprise Portal 7.30

Unfortunatly that note is now restricted, I can not access it anymore.

I remember in the "old" days of Portal 7.0, there were some very specific recommendations regarding

the adjustements of JVM memory parameters ; is there something similar for Portal 7.3 ?

Thank and Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The mentioned note is in process status. It only refers to the following documentations: 

o  SDN Article: Performance Best Practices Guide for SAP NetWeaver
       Portal 7.3,
       <http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-portala
       ndcollaboration?rid=/library/uuid/50eb22f4-589e-2e10-e999-e7db1
       38bbb07>

o  SDN Article: SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.3 - Tuning Caches,
       <http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d0ab65f4
       -21b6-2e10-dfab-b2cb82a43174>

o  Note 1248926 - AS Java VM Parameters for NetWeaver 7.1 based
          products

o  Note 723909 - Java VM settings for J2EE 6.40/7.0

On this NW version 2GB is not enough, if physical memory makes it possible, you can increase it to even 6GB (4GB should be enough)

If you'll set it to 4GB adjust permanent (1GB) and new size (0,7GB) accordingly

Kind regards

Istvan

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your quick responses Shikrant and Istvan.

We are running SAP Netweaver 7.3 based on SAP JVM version 6.1.038 19.1-b02

The recommendations provided in sap note Note 723909 - Java VM settings for J2EE 6.40/7.0

when running SAP WAS 6.40/NW 7.0 when running Partner JDK : IBM/HP/Sun

Actually the note 723909 mentions that when running SAP NW 7.1, we should refer to Note 1248926 - AS Java VM Parameters for NetWeaver 7.1 based products ....but there is no mention of SAP NEtweaver 7.3 in both note.

I read carefully SAP note 1248926, the note recommends to use the appropriate template when running Netweaver CE, ByDesign, PI, MI ... but again, no mention of NW 7.3 J2EE EP or BI.

I have also read the the two SDN articles you mention, there are absoluetely no mention of SAP JVM parameters.

Istvan,

In you message , you said that I should increase the size of the heap memory,permanent , new size, this is exactly what I am looking for, is there any SAP document providing such recommendations not for SAP 6.40, not for NW 7.0, not for CE 7.1, but for NW 7.3 BI-java/EP ?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Raoul,

You are welcome.

Note 723909 is valid for NW versions 640, 700, 701, 702 with VM version 1.4

The reason of not issuing notes with specific JVM heap settings recommendations is that the zero administration templates contains all necessary settings. Installation guides define what administration template should be used according to the used system landscape. You should check there what template is recommended.

However, you can change JVM heap settings to meet your requiremets, that's not a problem. Experiences show that most of the customers use 4GB to 6GB heap size with this NW version. New size usually set to 1/6  of the heap, while perm size 1/4 of the heap.

Kind regards

Istvan

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer Istvan,  there is absolutely no teplate that may corresponds to SAP NEtweaver 7.3 Portal or Bi-JAVA, most of the template refer to Composition Environnemnt CE

By defautl, we are using the template Usage_type_all_in_one, but I am not sure at all it is the correct one.

I just went though the installation guide "  Application Server Java SAP netweaver 7.3 on HP-UX :  Oracle" there is absolutely no mentions whatsoever of any template.

Anyway,  in the end, if there is no sap note, installtion guide, article ....I will follow your recommendations

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, that's fine. It can be set between 4GB and 6GB, most of the installations use this value on version NW 730.

Regards, Istvan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

i am facing the same issue. I have 4 instances in one host. I have installed AS JAVA NW 7.3 and in config tool i have observed AMOUNT_MEMORY value is 34 GB. I want to reduce it.

Can some one guide me?

Thanks in advance,

Siva

Its very urgent

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Not Active Contributor Raoul,

1, In Java NetWeaver 7.30, the Java Application Server JVM tuning is  maintained by the Zero Admin templates, where many tuning options are  calculated automatically depending on system resources and optimized  relative values.

It is  recommended to review more information on SAP Java VM and Server tuning.

o  Note 1248926 - AS Java VM Parameters for NetWeaver 7.1 based
        products

o  Note 723909 - Java VM settings for J2EE 6.40/7.0

2, It is recommended to minimize the amount of logging and tracing in order  to avoid the impact of expensive I/O activity.

3, Enabling the Portal caches can improve the Portal performance. 

please review the Best Practice and the "Tuning Caches"  SDN articles.

SDN Article: Performance Best Practices Guide for SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.3,
<http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-portalandcollaboration?rid=/library/uuid/50eb22f4-589e-2e10-e999-e...38bbb07>

SDN Article: SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.3 - Tuning Caches,
<http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d0ab65f4-21b6-2e10-dfab-b2cb82a43174>

Regards

shrikant