cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

guiengine: No GUI server connected; waiting for a connection .....

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, another one ....  

I'm installing NW702 EHP2 on Centos6.  This was chosen by the customer, not me !!  It's a version of RHEL6, with all proprietary code of any sort removed and replaced with GNU-style Open Source equivalents, so I'm following the Red Hat installation notes.

As per OSS Note 1697164, I have updated SAPInst and SAPinstGUI on my host (and on my local machine - more on this below), I believe I have the correct JAVA version installed (IBMs latest 142 version), and I believe I have the Environment variables set correctly.

I have checked the SAP NW 7.0 EHP2 ABAP Linux DB2 guide, the document Setup SAP ERP 2005 IDES on CentOS Linux with MAXDB, and previous messages (on both SCN and other forums) that could seemed related, and I can't find what the issue is.

OSS Notes referenced:

=====================

171356 - SAP software on Linux - Essential information

187864 - Locale Support on Linux

195603 - Red Hat 6.1 Enterprise version - Known problems

929929 - Latest SAPinst Patch

941735 - SAP memory management for 64-bit Linux systems

1048303 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x - Installation and upgrade

1341276 - Install NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2 UNIX

1437105 - Operating system limits for SAP instances

1496410 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x - Installation and Upgrade

1697164 - SAPinst 720-2 - SDT GUI Server

SAPinst Output (where the problem lies)

=============================

###### echo $SAPINST_JRE_HOME

/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/bin

###### echo $JAVA_HOME

/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/bin

###### echo $PATH

/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/bin:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

###### echo $TEMP

/root

###### cd /install

###### setenv DISPLAY '10.8.8.65:0.0'

###### /sap_cd/D51041254/im_linux_x86_64/sapinst

[==============================] \ extracting...  done!

SAPinst build information:

--------------------------

abi version : 722

make variant: 720_REL

build       : 1329818

compile time: May 15 2012 22:07:47

created: jce/

inflated: jce/COPYRIGHT.html

inflated: jce/local_policy.jar

inflated: jce/US_export_policy.jar

extracted: LABEL.ASC

inflated: CDLABEL.ASC

extracted: VERSION.ASC

extracted: LABEL.EBC

extracted: CDLABEL.EBC

extracted: VERSION.EBC

inflated: COPY_TM.TXT

inflated: COPY_TM.HTM

inflated: MD5FILE.DAT

inflated: SHAFILE.DAT

Starting GUIServer using:

SAPinst port         : 21200

GUIServer port       : 21212

HTTP port            : 4239

Main user root mode  : yes

GUIServer user       : sapsdt

by cmdline        : no

created           : no

auto passwd       : yes

GUI autostart        : on

GUI mode             : normal

command       : /root/sapinst_exe.3349.1338197381/jre/bin/java -Xmx256M -Dsap.env.var.javahome=SAPINST_JRE_HOME -cp /root/sapinst_exe.3349.1338197381/JAR/instgui.jar SDTServer rootdir=/home/sapsdt/.sdtgui config=jar:sdtserver.xml guiport=21212 httpport=4239 -nolock -srvarg=/SAPinstService/host=127.0.0.1 -srvarg=/SAPinstService/port=21200

MessageLib: ERROR: unable to open URL 'file:///install/messages.xml'

MessageLib: ERROR: unable to open URL 'file:///install/messages.xml'

load resource pool /sap_cd/D51041254/im_linux_x86_64/resourcepool.xml

guiengine: No GUI server connected; waiting for a connection on host hyperdrive, port 21200 to continue with the installation

The process that should run the SAPinst GUI could not be started. Please make sure that a JDK is installed on this host and that SAPINST_JRE_HOME points to the root directory of your Java installation. As an alternative you may start the GUI on another host (for details please consult the installation guide).

Java has been started with the following command line:

-Xmx256M -Dsap.env.var.javahome=SAPINST_JRE_HOME -cp /root/sapinst_exe.3349.1338197381/JAR/instgui.jar SDTServer rootdir=/home/sapsdt/.sdtgui config=jar:sdtserver.xml guiport=21212 httpport=4239 -nolock -srvarg=/SAPinstService/host=127.0.0.1 -srvarg=/SAPinstService/port=21200

guiengine: 2012-05-28 07:34:53 PM Login in progress ..............................

guiengine: 2012-05-28 07:35:23 PM Login timeout; the client was unable to establish a valid connection

Netstat

=======

###### netstat -lp | grep sap

tcp        0      0 *:21200                     *:*                         LISTEN      3350/sapinstexe

###### netstat -lp | grep 212

tcp        0      0 *:21200                     *:*                         LISTEN      3350/sapinstexe

SAPInst GUI

===========

The last two lines of output:

guiengine: 2012-05-28 07:34:53 PM Login in progress ..............................

guiengine: 2012-05-28 07:35:23 PM Login timeout; the client was unable to establish a valid connection

occur when I attempt to connect remotely via SAPInst GUI on a windows machine.  I have checked (via telnet <ip.address> 21200 that the host machine is listening, which is confirmed by netstat.

The Windows SAPInst GUI program Starter screen:

Program is starting... Please wait!

Path: C:\Users\dad\AppData\Local\Temp\sapinst_exe.6592.1338199925\\jre\bin\java.exe

Start mode: gui (Gui only)

Connection parameters:

GuiServer host: 10.4.4.43

GuiServer port: 21200

GUI mode      : normal

Starting...

<<< frog.jar: version 7.20.19 03/09/11 sap.theme: null >>>

gives the following errors messages:

http://scn.sap.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/28460-102-1-68014/sapinstgui.jpg

Note that I updated the windows version of the SAPInst executables when I updated the Linux version.

====  END  =====

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solved, with a bit of digging around.....  Despite what the error message says, there was no problem with the specified location of the JDK or the JCE_POLICY_ZIP

1) The Environment Variables have to be exactly correct; I added mine to the .tcshrc file of the installation user, so they are executed every time I logon.

>

setenv TEMP /install

setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/

setenv SAPINST_JRE_HOME ${JAVA_HOME}

setenv JCE_POLICY_ZIP /media/USB_BACKUP1/sap_cd/51042720-jce-policy.zip

#

setenv PATH ${PATH}:${JAVA_HOME}

2) Note that this is the profile for /bin/csh - Even after getting everything else right, on CentOS anyway, I couldn't get the GUI to connect unless I used the /bin/csh.

>

chsh

... <enter /bin/csh when prompted>

either logoff and log back on before continuing, or exec /bin/csh to execute profiles correctly.

3) The directory you run from must be globally r/w.  This was the most important one, as it was what was stopping the guiengine from starting

rmdir /install

mkdir /install

chmod 777 /install

/sap_cd/D51041254/im_linux_x86_64/sapinst

thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please use port 21212 in the remote sapinstgui screen as this is the port guiserver is listening to . So the SAPINST GUI will connect to this port.

21200 is used by sapinst server to which guiserver connects.

Regards

Ratnajit

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnajit,

Thanks for the response.

The sapinstgui is giving the following errors:

Error while connecting to communication partner - see preceding messages.

Could not connect to host 10.4.4.43 on port 21212.

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

Of course, there are no preceding messages Meanwhile on the host side, the output was the same as before, except I didn't get the attempted Login and timeout I was getting when I tried connecting via port 212100.

Can you verify that the Environment variables are correct ?

thanks

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please stop all running sapinst proceses on the server and start from scratch.

Meanwhile also delete any file stating with .sapstream212* under /tmp  before starting.

Also check if any process is listening to port 21212.

Regards

Ratnajit

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I kill the sapinst and java processes before restarting, to ensure there's nothing in the way.

There's no .sapstream212* file in the /tmp directory (I'm using TEMP = /root and there's no .sapstream212* files\ under there either).

There is nothing listening on port 21212 before during or after the executuon of sapinst.

thanks

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you check with your OS administrator if there is any firewall .

Below are some commands which you can use in this case , but Caution use this only after consulting your Linux OS administrator.

#service iptables save

#service iptables stop

#chkconfig iptables off

#service ip6tables save

#service ip6tables stop

#chkconfig ip6tables off

Regards

Ratnajit

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No firewall in place.

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you use the -nogui option with sapinst ??

#/sap_cd/D51041254/im_linux_x86_64/sapinst -nogui

then try connecting from remote host and provide 21212 port in the sapinstgui screen.

Regards

Ratnajit

martin_E
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ratnajit,

Did you use the -nogui option with sapinst ??

#/sap_cd/D51041254/im_linux_x86_64/sapinst -nogui

then try connecting from remote host and provide 21212 port in the sapinstgui screen.

I have tried several combinations of this, even including running the sapinstgui from another VNC session on the same server

I think the problem lies in the text...

The process that should run the SAPinst GUI could not be started. Please make sure that a JDK is installed on this host and that SAPINST_JRE_HOME points to the root directory of your Java installation.

There's nothing listening on port 21212, according to netstat (the process 7149 is the java process started by sapinst), which makes me wonder what should be listening on that port, i.e. what is running that isn't ?

##### netstat -lp|grep sap

tcp        0      0 *:21200                     *:*                         LISTEN      7149/sapinstexe   

##### netstat -lp | grep 212

tcp        0      0 *:21200                     *:*                         LISTEN      7149/sapinstexe 

The environment variables are:

setenv TEMP /root

setenv JCE_POLICY_ZIP /sap_cd/51042720-jce-policy.zip

setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/bin

setenv PATH "${JAVA_HOME}:${PATH}"

setenv SAPINST_JRE_HOME /opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/bin

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe you are not using C shell .

If so , set the following environment variables this way

export TEMP=/root

export JCE_POLICY_ZIP=/sap_cd/51042720-jce-policy.zip ( This is actually not required for NW 702 installations)

export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142

export PATH=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/bin:$PATH

export SAPINST_JRE_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142

I have made some modifications to the values.

Then start sapinst from the VNC session on your server.

SAPINST GUI screen should open.

Regards

Ratnajit

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

has the issue been resolved ?

Could you start sapinst ?

Regards

Ratnajit