cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EWM Assignment of Door to Storage Bin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a conceptual question which is confusing me. Can anyone throw some light in this

As i can see in EWM it is possible to create a Warehouse Door and to assign it to

1> Either a storage bin of storage Type with role Door

2> Or a yard bin (which is a storage bin of Storage type with role Yard)

What is the basic difference between both the assignement.

As i can see if i use option one then system proposes the bin as the Goods Movement Bin in Delivery (if the door is assigned in staging area and door determination). But that is not the case for the second option. Then why do we assign the Door to a yard Bin

Regards

Sandeepan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi

"Then why do we assign the Door to a yard Bin"

so that you know when a TU is in a certain bin (which is assigned to the door) which bin is inside the warehouse when you unload the TU.

Through this assignements you connect the door bin (the bin in the storage type with the role door) with the yard bin (the bin in the storage type with the role yard).

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for the reply.

You mentioned

" Through this assignements you connect the door bin (the bin in the storage type with the role door) with the yard bin (the bin in the storage type with the role yard)"

I am not clear how the assignment connects the door bin to the yard bin. (the Door is assigned to eaither a door bin or a yard bin but not both.

I understand that the door bin is used in Door Determination. Now we can directly unload or load the TU via the door bin.

Can you please clarify teh assignment a bit more.

Regards

Sandeepan

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"I am not clear how the assignment connects the door bin to the yard bin. (the Door is assigned to eaither a door bin or a yard bin but not both."

well, but you can connect the Door to both bins, then they are connected.

"1> Either a storage bin of storage Type with role Door

2> Or a yard bin (which is a storage bin of Storage type with role Yard)"

It is actually not an either/or. You can do one of it (which I believe is not really making use of the door then at all), or you do both.

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sandeepan,

I think that we can look at this from both a Micro and Macro level using the organizational structure of the warehouse. So, inside the warehouse you have several zones defined as being storage types, one or more of these zones may have storage types allocated to them as being Doors. It is so because it is supposed that inside the warehouse you have a multitude of operations and so these operations are separated by storage types (meaning a higher level) whereas in the Yard, where it is supposed that only simple operations occur you need to define everything at bin level, that is why you have a storage type of role YARD in which you have doors defined as storage bins.

All the best,

Claudiu Maxim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for the reply..as you correctly mentioned its not a case of either or but rather both the assignment. That was where i was confused.

Regards

Sandeepan

Answers (0)