Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM 7.1 - Migration Server

former_member199849
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi friends!!

I have a SAP Netweaver MDM 7.1 installed on Windows 2003, we are going to change the server to Windows 2008, I don't know if the migration will be a new installation and then migrate the database, if this is the case, how is the correct procedure to migrate database, repositories? Do you have a useful guide?
I am new in MDM.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member199849
Participant
0 Kudos

With Backup and restore? , because I going to install the new MDM with the same caracterisitc, SID, ports, etccc so I guess backup and restore will be an option, my DB is SQL 2005

Am I rigth?

thomas_haase
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

no I do it without Backup and Restore.

When you have installed a new system you must now make an archive with the MDM Console from every repository. Than copy it to the new server unter (on linux it is under /usr/sap/<SID>/MDSxx/mdm/archives) and do an unarchive on the new server.

Before you make the unarchive you must to create an repository. Logon to the repository and than unarchive. You will automatic logoff from the repository, but that is okay.

You should also edit the *.ini files if you have some spezial parameter in the old system.

Regards

Thomas

If you give me your email adress, I could send you a dokumentation

Thomas

former_member199849
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

This is my email address :  agmunoz87@gmail.com

And my skype account is   andygio87

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have a customer where they want to migrate MDM Server as same Scenarios as Andrea,Please can you help me on the documentation my email ID avinashgowda.87@gmail.com    

Thank you very much in advance

Thanks,

Avinash

thomas_haase
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

with archive and unarchive with the mdm console it is easy. The files from the repositories after the archive was at my system not so big.

(my old system landscape was sun os / oracle. the new one is linux / oracle)

My prerequisites as SAP Admin was only to copy the global part from the mds.ini, mdis.ini and mdss.ini to the new server.

For my it was important that the new MDM System must have the same MDM version like the old MDM System.

At our system it was all. There was also no problem with the repositories after the import. My luck was that my customer want not change the database. 

Greeting Thomas

former_member199849
Participant
0 Kudos

About the size of the BD? for doing this method: archive and unarchive, are there limits with BD size?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Issue's can be any depending on the environment you are working with.

The repository gets corrupted, sometimes the maps are imported, validation needs to be written again

Generally if you follow the document, chances of encountering and error is minimum.

Regards,

Abhishek

former_member199849
Participant
0 Kudos

Are there prerrequisites, issues that I have to consider?

thomas_haase
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do it the last weeks from SunOs to Linux.

My way was to install a new MDM system (MDM and DB)  with the same versions on the new server. Make an archive from the repositories(MDM Console), transfer it to the new server and make an unarchive (MDM Console) on the new MDM System. (since an SAP note is this way the only supportet way)

The MDM Configfile (mds.ini, mdis.ini, mdss.ini) should the same like the old ini files.

The repostory part I dont copy to the new ini's file. only the global part.

After this my mdm was running without any problems.

I hope it helps.

Greeting

Thomas

former_member199849
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

How do you copy the repository? Do you have a guide?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To copy a repository, use Archive and unacrchive commands. Procedure in brief-

log into MDM console -> mount the Source MDM Server -> Archive the desired repository

-> copy the .a2a files(archive fails) from /usr/sap/<SID>/MDS**/mdm\archives and paste it at the same loction of target system

->mount the target server ->unarchive the repository

Please refer to Part 6 of the below Reference Guide.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/71608566ae3260e10000000a42189b/MDMConsole71.pdf

-Renu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can also refer pg 6 of the below link

http://213.41.80.15/SAP_ELearning/OKEC/nav/content/011000358700000601482007E.PDF

Rgds,

Prasad