cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup a RFC adapter with a non-sap system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am facing a question while setup a RFC with external system, i amn't sure whether it is possible to do it and the steps, may you share me any clues, thx all.

the request is to send an idoc to external system via PI, between PI and SAP i will use the Idoc adapter and between PI and exnternal system may use RFC adapter. but i don't have much experience to setup RFC with a non-sap system..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

ayan_chaudhuri
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I understand your requirement, you have Idoc in sender system.So you use that while connecting to PI.But since, receiver is non-SAP system, try to avoid RFC while connecting to it from PI..My suggestion will be as follows,

i)If it is a async flow , try to use file or jms queues.

ii)If it is synchronous flow, you can use webservice mechanis.In receiver side, use SOAP adapter.Complete your entire configuration in  PI and publish that as a webservice to third party.So it will become IDOC to SOAP scenario.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Ayan Chaudhuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx Ayan, is there any disadvantage while sending idoc to non-sap system via RFC? yes, normally we do as the http adapter .

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To send Idocs over RFC to the target system, you need to configure idoc communication steps between PI and target system. If you see issue with that, the simplest solution is pass idoc xml as file to the target system.

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me add a few thoughts to the discussion. It's not a problem for PI to connect over RFC to any system (SAP or non-SAP), since PI itself supports RFC communication. The question is, if the receiver can handle RFC, which is defined as the standard SAP interface for communication between SAP systems [source]. PI configuration would be identical as when connecting to some SAP system over RFC adapter, the only difficulty is to make sure that the 3rd party system supports RFC and how to configure it to do so.

In general, you shouldn't aim to use any particular adapter just because . PI gives you the flexibility to connect different systems that are not compatible in terms of technologies used. You can use whichever sender & receiver adapter, and make the scenario work fine (which was one of your concerns in the discussion). So instead of thinking how to connect to 3rd party over RFC, think how can the 3rd party system connect to another system in general, and then use this possibility with PI. No matter which communication method is used by the sender.

Regards,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Greg, yes. but the 3rd party prefer the IDoc via RFC so that is my weakness as i only setup Idoc adapter between sap with pi before, except pi with non-sap system.

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That explains a lot. To my understanding then, if the 3rd party wants to receive IDocs over RFC, then your configuration on PI side is exactly the same as when connecting to SAP receiver. Use IDoc receiver CC and you'll be fine . Find here how to configure the receiver IDoc adapter, in case of doubts:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/96/791c42375d5033e10000000a155106/content.htm

Regards,

Greg

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jay,

When you say " 3rd party prefer the IDoc via RFC" it means you have to send Idoc to nonSAP system using tRFC. So you have to use Idoc receiver and in RFC destination  you have provide RFC destination of type TCP/IP created in ABAP stack of SAP PI (using transaction SM 59). The programe Id that you will provide in RFC destination should match with the one created in nonSAP System.

So in nutshell Just configure Idoc to Idoc Scenario and in Idoc Receiver Adapter -> "RFC Destination""  give the TCP/IP RFC destination created in SAP PI (through SM59).

Configure the port.

Thanks,

Sunil Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

i am facing an issue to create a RFC destination (TYPE T). it will say the program TEST_RFC not registered and TP TEST_RFC not registered.

i know this is a normal issue, but i searched the SCN, it looks no solutions how to do? is the problem on the gateway options? i keep it default values.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

RFC adapter not support IDoc data transfer, but you can try using web service mechanism like insted of IDoc create one function module(identify equilent FM for your IDoc) and expose as a web serivce and give to external system they can start using your FM.

If you traget system supporting RFC call then you can try creating RFC destination type G and try.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Raja,

we are considering to use file or http adapter to communicate withe external system. But if any ways to use rfc adapter to connect with non-sap system and how to do it ?

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

If target system support Remote function cals then you ca try using RFC adpater but it looks in your case will not work.

Request your ABAP team to genarate IDoc-xml file in FTP, thenusing File adpater pull data from FTP and send it to Target system.

rerfer below link

http://www.erpgenie.com/sap/sapedi/Conversion%20of%20IDOCs%20to%20XML%20format.pdf

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx guru,

does that mean if the connection with sap and non-sap system via RFC adapter. both receiver and sender adapter should be RFC adapters? if sender is IDoc adapter, so it is impossible the receiver adapter is RFC adapter. for my scenario, the receiver adapter could be http or file ?

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

If Sender is Idoc it doesn't require any Sender Agreement so needless to have Sender Idoc Adapter (I hope you are not using Java only installtion for SAP PI).

If your Receiving system Supports RFC communication then use Receiver RFC communication channel with RFC Server Type as "External Server" and then you have to mention the program Id. You have to Make sure that Programe Id matches with the one created in non SAP system.

Make sure the channel status is green after the configuration/ first run

Below Document will help :

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/e1e22122aaea998fcc220e3b.html

Thanks,

Sunil Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Sunil , many thanks.

your are correct the sender agreement isn't required. but i am short of experience on connection with non-sap system via RFC adapter,

Is any requirement on the external system? only Java platform possible?

as i saw from the pdf you mentioned,

for sending/receiving IDocs the RFC-functions that are used are well defined and fixed (IDOC_INBOUND_ASYNCHRONOUS andIDOC_INBOUND_IN_QUEUE).

how to setup above two in Idoc adapters, It would be strongly appreciated if you could share some remarks during the setup? thx a ton.

we are using the PI. 7.0 now to do the setup.

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jay,

Dont worry about  """for sending/receiving IDocs the RFC-functions that are used are well defined and fixed (IDOC_INBOUND_ASYNCHRONOUS andIDOC_INBOUND_IN_QUEUE)""". SAP PI takes care of all these for any Idoc communication these are the standard function available and need not to be configured.

There must be some attribute in Non-SAP system that will allow you to define the Program ID. If you take help from Administrator handling the Non-SAP system he can show where you define in nonSAP system

""Is any requirement on the external system? only Java platform possible?""

No. But it should support RFC communication. You can refer the document for nonSAP system that you have to see if it supports RFC communication.

Thanks,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx Sunil, i will have a try now and see what will happen.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you seen this sap link?

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/22/042860488911d189490000e829fbbd/content.htm

There is one possibility using SAP JCO api to call RFC function modules without using PI adapter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx Baskar,  yes, it could be done as you mentioned, but it would be a p to p connection and we wanna have a central administration so we try to find a way in PI..

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Friend,

i want to send documents from SAP DMS To Sharepoint DMS.

there is any way to make its solutions.

Thanks

Vijay