cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy Backup/Restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Currently my ECC 6.0 system HDD has broken. However we have backup of /Oracle <inclusing Data file and log files & /usr folders.

now we wanted restore the database using the backup files.  But it seems that we donot have Control file.

Operating system Win 2003
DB:Oracle 10G

As per the system copy guide -backup/restore process -> We need Control file[Contol.sql] during the Restore step[backup/Restore database] in target system
1.Sine my source sysem HDD is currently down, in this case How to generate  Control file Structure on the source system?

Thanks
Thirumalai

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tirumalai,

Could you please confirm if the backup you are having is an offline or online backup?

If you have an offline backup available, as Ratnajit mentioned, you can start the restoring of DB directly.

Also, SAP usually recommends the mirroring of Control files, so if you have this configuration done there should be a copy of control file in your backup.

Wish you good luck with the DB restore.

Regards,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnajit - Thank you.

My all the rest of the systems are belogs to SQL DB. If you you have Control.sql file, please share to me.

Hi Pradeep: 

This is a entire file copy of following folders[Not- online/offline].
/oralcle [E drive and F Drive - data files palced in E & D drives]
/usr

Thanks
Thirumalai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thirumalai,

The below link explains how to create a control file using SQL commands when all the copies of exsting files are lost.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B12037_01/server.101/b10759/statements_5003.htm

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Pradeep

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you took the backup of the folders , was the database offline ??

If not , then I believe you cannot get back the system with this procedure .

Regards

Ratnajit

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have a consistent offline backup , the all datafiles , control and redofiles are saved in the backup and you can use it for restore. But if you do not have the control file , you may try building it but editing it as required. The only thing which is important is the SCN in all the datafile headers and the page headers much be same . Else the system might ask you for applying redolog files .

All the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

Thank you for your reply.

We have backup of following folders only.  [Soruce system totally down]

We have to use this to rebuild a new system.

E:\usr
E:\oracle\<SID>\sapdata1
E:\oracle\<SID>\sapdata2
E:\oracle\<SID>\saptrace
E:\oracle\<SID>\102
E:\oracle\<SID>\sapcheck
E:\oracle\<SID>\sapreorg
E:\oracle\<SID>\saptrace

F:\oracle\<SID>\mirrlogA
F:\oracle\<SID>\mirrlogB
F:\oracle\<SID>\origlogA
F:\oracle\<SID>\origlogB
F:\oracle\<SID>\sapdata3
F:\oracle\<SID>\sapdata4

Now We have installed the same Operarting system Win2003 and Database :Oracle 10G with Patch.
next we are planing to use homogeneous system copy [backu/restore] to restore the DB.

Please guide the steps to build a new control file with out the source system?.

Thanks
Thirumalai

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Turkes,

Thank you for your reply.

yes I have gone through the manual already.

In my understanding guide describes only  to create control.SQL file in souce system

[in my case We cannot use our soure system now]. We have only backup of files as previously mentioned be me.

inside folder Found that following CNTRL files

G:\E\oracle\<SID>\sapdata1\cntrl\CNTRL<SID>.DBF

G:\F\oracle\<SID>\origlogA\cntrl\CNTRL<SID>.DBF

G:\F\oracle\<SID>\origlogB\cntrl\CNTRL<SID>.DBF

According the system copy guide,  we need to restore the  <duing [backu/restore] steps>

CONTROL.SQL & init<SID>.ora into /sapinst_instdir/ERP/LM/COPY/ORA/SYSTEM/CENTRAL/AS-ABAP. We have init<SID>.ora file, but we  donot have CONTROL.SQL file.

In this case how to create CONTROL.SQL file ?

Thanks

Thirumalai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

As I mentioned http://help.sap.com/saphelp_wp/helpdata/en/0d/d2ffba4a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm link before, check  DB recovery using a new control file section. It explains how to create a new control file.

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please generate a trace file of the control file in any other system just to get the correct format  . Adapt it to the system you require for . Make sure you provide each datafile and redolog file with the complete path and modify all parameters in the file you adapt. Also use the second option of reset logs in the trace file.

This is the last effort you should make if there is no other option.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos