Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCP UniCode Conversion - What to do with database Software

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

We are running ECC 6.0 SR3(Non Unicode) with Oracle 10.2.0.5 and OS - Windows 32 bit

We are planning to perform Unicode Conversion on my system (One system set means on same system).

Now I am thinking what Activities required from Oracle Software side for this Conversion.

I have already performed Preparation steps and in phase of exporting the database:

My concerns are:

1) How to know is my curret database software Oracle 10.2.0.5 is Unicode or NonUnicode.

2) If it in Non Unicode then I think I have to install Oracle again and then after installation, With System Copy tools I will start Target System Installation my Machine.

3) If Already installed database is Unicode then is it supported Non Unicode SAP and Unicode Database.

Please suggest to clear my these doubts.

Regards,

Shivam

3 REPLIES 3

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Shivam,

the database software allows to create instances both on Unicode and on Non-Unicode.

In a Unicode conversion scenario, the standard approach (1-Server scenario) after export is to delete the old Non-Unicode system and then do a new installation from the scratch (using the exported files).

It might be possible to leave the database software as is, but this is not standard and I do not know exactly how to do this ...

Best regards,

Nils 

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please follow the unicode conversion guide from SAP for the standard process.

When you do an export using R3load , the data conversion happens and after that it is imported into a unicode database . The SAPINST creates a unicode database if you have checked the unicode option in sapinst . The database code page can be found using the following sql .

SELECT * FROM NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS;

In case of unicode system , the output should be UTF-8 for NLS_CHARACTERSET.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shivam,

1)Oracle DB ( or for that matter any DB) is not categorised into unicode or non-unicode. It is the SAP system that is it is connected to is categorised into unicode or non-unicode based on the code pages it uses.

2)The procedure is that you take a export of the non-unicode system. Then install a new unicode system with the export ( this includes a new database installation as well). So you have to install a new database compulsorily.You can not install a Unicode system with a non-Unicode system in one database ( MCOD option).

3)As mentioned above database supports both unicode and non-unicode SAP systems. But not in the same database installation( MCOD option)

Regards,

Sonia