cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make fields as Read Only

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

1) I have a case where some fields in my repository are non-changeable, meaning they cannot be updated after the initial approval process.

We have Validations over here to make them non-changeable. But our requirement is to make them non-editable that is I want that fields to be grayed out so that user can't edit them. I can't make this field as calculated as we are running assignments on these fields and assigning them to the workflow.

Can you please suggest if there is any expression to make a field non-editable (grayed out).

2) Similalry, another requirement is that there are some fields like Vendor Number which is a unique number comes from ECC after the record is created.

So, I need to make such fields non-editable (grayed out) as well so that user is unable to write anything in this field but without using Calculated field.

3) Does SP08 has this functionality?

Please help as I am unable to find a solution for this problem.

Regards,

Rohini Joshi.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rosini,

Are you using any MDM WD Components for your application UI like item details,search..etc ?

if yes then you can made the required fields non editable in the MDM WD Configurator itself.

Regards,

Govindu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Govind,

No, we are not using webdyn pro interface with MDM.

I need to make the field non-editable so that users cant type anything into that field.

We have created validations but the thing is Validation error is popped up while saving the record, but User requirement is to make a field grayed out so that end user can't type anything into that field.

Please let me know, if it possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

If you have requirement to make a field non-editable, then you can do it through Roles.

You can create a role with appropriate access to users under Functions tab.

Then you can restrict the access to "read only" under the tab "Tables and Fields" for particular fields.

I think this should solve your problem. Kind check this and let us know with the results.

Note: Fields in Data Manager may not appear as greyed out but even if user tries to edit the field, system with throw error message while saving "Insufficient rights for operation".

I hope this helps. Thank you.

rajesh_chavan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

As per my understading ...it is not possible to make this field grayed out in MDM....It only pop-up while saving the record. I know at times it's confusing for user and they don't accept it.

you can achieve the solution with way suggested by Ankush. i.e. Roles and field access control.

Cheers,

Rc

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

I am already using roles and function table to achieve this, but I wanted it as it must be completely blocked for the end user li.e. greyed out, but as Rajesh said, its not possible in MDM as of now. So, i will have to continue with this existing functionality only. Thank you all for your replies.

Regards,

Rohini.

former_member196156
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Rohini,

Kindly refer the below document.

document by Menachem Melamed

Thank you

former_member196156
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

Can you close the thread if you got the answer.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roshini,

When you are creating a field in MDM Console, you have an option in the "Field Detail" pane called as Writable Once, you can set this field property to "Yes"

This will make the field Read Only after the first save.

Yes SP08 also has this functionality.

But if your requirement is to make the field editable until it is approved and then make the field non editable after the approval, then this property cannot be used

Please refer the Console reference guide Pg. 129.

Just to add, you can use this property for the Vendor Number field, since it is a unique field and you are getting the value from ECC

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

I want the field to be grayed out once it is updated. It must not be editable to the user after initial approval. I want these field to be completely disabled so that user cannot edit anything in that field like it is in Calculated field(where the field is completely grayed out). Hope you get my problem.

Rgds,

Rohini.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roshini,

Since you want a field to be un-editable after the  initial approval, you can achieve the same with the help of Workflow and validations.

I understand that you are already using validations to achieve the same result.

Is their any particular reason that you want the field to be grayed out, why i mean to ask is, since you want the field to be non editable and you are achieving the same through validations where you are anyhow not able to edit the field.

Regards,

Prasad.