cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP basis/WAS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a basic question on SAP Basis/WAS. I understand that before SAP R/3 Enterprise edition , all the applications/modules were running on SAP Basis.

And at the advent of SAP R/3 4.7 onwards the applications used to sit on WAS. However I do not understand the difference between SAP R/3 Basis system and Web Appl Server. Also How is WAS linked with Netweaver and ECC?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

just to complete this:

SAP Basis is the name of the ABAP component containing all the basic functions. Together with components like SAP_ABA, SAP_BW, ST-PI, SAP_AP, .. (not fully sure about this list) it is todays Netweavers ABAP stack.

As Srikishan mentioned above todays Netweaver is the current application platform (successor of WebAS from release 7.0), and also a product name ("SAP Netweaver suite"). As an application platform all the business applications will use Netweavers basic functions (spool, jobs, locks, processes, memory at ABAP and JEE side) to serve business users requests.

WebAS is an old term (from release 6.10 to 6.30) for ABAP and JEE stack, both building the application platform for these releases.

Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

So can we say that SAP Basis transformed into SAP Web AS that became Netweaver .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes - as per my understanding, releases like 46C and earlier only had ABAP components without any ICM/Web capabilities. Next the ICM was added to SAP Basis to enable Web based access and hosting applications. As Peter mentioned, Netweaver today has its own suite of functionalities with Web AS being one part of it.

Regards,

Srikishan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check this informative document regarding history and evolution of WAS:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e1515a37-0301-0010-b2bb-99780cb4c...

Currently, Netweaver itself is the Web Application Server. Applications (ECC, CR, SRM etc) use Netweaver as a Basis.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Srikishan for your doc. I shall go through it and get back to you if have any further queries.